Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Pro X10 DVD needed?

Does the Pro X10 DVD contain anything that's not available on the web? Can I throw it away?

If it doesn't contain anything not available on the web, then I wonder why Xara bothers sending the DVD.

Default Re: Pro X10 DVD needed?

Do keep it!
    If you can't access the web, you cannot download templates, etc.
    It is possibly better to re-install from the CD as all the resources are then local to your machine.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

But beware that when re-installing from the DVD, you will have to update on-line to the latest version again and that any custom settings will be lost.
    Last edited by Boy; 07 January 2015 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Clarification added

Physical copy is always good to have as backup as you never know when things disappear from the web.

I regularly use many programs from software houses that no longer exist and without physical copy those would be lost forever, which would be real shame as they still get the job done they were originally made for.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    But beware that when re-installing from the DVD, you will have to update on-line to the latest version again and that any custom settings will be lost.
    If you re-install from the DVD, any settings would be lost anyway

With all due respect Rob, that's what I said. When re-installing from the DVD, you have to accept two consequences: you need to update again and you lose your custom setting. Perhaps that the erroneous, second "that" in my reply confused matters, so thanks for clarifying things.

Apologies, I read it as any setting would be lost after updating, not after re-installation

they send the DVD as a backup DVD as a bonus. I wouldn't throw it away! If you buy a new system you may need it to install the program.
    JIm
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

I hope Xara never stop sending the DVD.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Can't say I've ever used the DVD. It doesn't take up much space so I haven't thrown it away.
    Tony