Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default P&GD 10 to DPX10

Hello, I'm a newcomer here.

I bought photo&graphics designer last week and today I got an offer 30% for a crossgrade, $172 tax included.

I not do paper work... and my web projects are almost all done by WordPress.

Trying to read the product comparisons I get many commercial sentences and I wish to know some feedback. Is it worth the money to get X10... or better to wait for an X11 crossgrade? Any clear benefit for a web designer? (from the graphics side, I will not use a static wysiwyg editor to build sites).

Sorry if this is really clear somewhere... just with an "hey man, you missing this and this... and they are critical features that you need to do that" will be a golden answer for me

Happy new year to all.

Default Re: P&GD 10 to DPX10

I think it all depends on what you want to do with the software.

I don't think anyone can really advise you if it's worth spending more money if you don't say what you are using the software for.

Generally speaking, I'd advise anyone whose just bought some software to get to know it first before spending more money on things they might not need.

Welcome to TG!

If you're doing wordpress design, I'd actually recommend Xara Designer Pro 10, as it is more suited to web design functions than Photo & Graphic Designer, though its far more robust than wordpress design. I happen to be a graphic designer, sign maker, digital printer, so I do use the print function that you would not. I still sometimes dabble in web design features, but not as extensively as I use to do. I've always possessed the full program since XaraX 1 and see no reason to ever own/use the lesser version. Still, as Pauland suggests, its your money, only you can decide whether to part with it. As long as you earn money with the work that you create, I think the investment is worth it.

Welcome to TalkGraphics flamerz

Designer Pro X10 is Xara's top of the line product. It has all the features of all the other products and then some. A few things that might make it worth the upgrade price is 64-bit and 32-bit versions, the most complete photo editing tools, great program for creating graphics for your Wordpress websites.

If you're doing wordpress design, I'd actually recommend Xara Designer Pro 10, as it is more suited to web design functions than Photo & Graphic Designer

I would disagree with this comment in the sense that the web generation functionality is not compatible with wordpress.

Fine for creating assets for use with a wordpress template but it cannot generate or modify wordpress templates.

I've used Wordpress, I know how it works.

I meant that XDP has web design features built in. Obviously the OP understands that, at the same time his intent with XP&GD was for assisting his Wordpress work - as in creating art assets to be used or replaced with existing templates. Since XP&GD lacks the web design features of XDP, that, IMO makes XDP more suited to his needs.

But, yes, Xara cannot modify a Wordpress template, as Wordpress is an entire template and web design system (and a closed one at that). You have to use Wordpress, in order to create Wordpress sites.

I think a new user might easily have taken the comment to imply that the web capabilities would be compatible with wordpress.

It's easy for us to know where it would be useful, but a new user might have expectations which would not be met.

Quote Originally Posted by flamerz View Post
    Hello, I'm a newcomer here.

Trying to read the product comparisons I get many commercial sentences and I wish to know some feedback.

Happy new year to all.
    In your comparisons did you get to the comparison table at http://www.xara.com/us/designer-pro/compare/ ?

Given that you don't do DTP and won't be using the web site creation features IMHO there's little in it for you to cross grade.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tonylondon View Post
    In your comparisons did you get to the comparison table at http://www.xara.com/us/designer-pro/compare/ ?

Given that you don't do DTP and won't be using the web site creation features IMHO there's little in it for you to cross grade.
    Thanks to everybody for your comments.

I saw the comparison table but maybe I only miss a 64 bits version and maybe 16 bits for the psds.

Maybe I wait for crossgrade in the next update. Lets see for more features this year

Your answers would have been much better if you'd taken the time to say exactly what use you intend to make of the software, and you might have picked up some workflow tips along the way.