Am retired now... get software tips from friends, like about MIT's free Bootstrap website builder, and about Lightroom from Steve Ledger. Also get update e-mails for software I've bought in the past, like new product announcements from Akvis in Russia, or Harald Heim's photo filter site in Germany. Still making ads -- print and e-mail -- for a very few clients, but my software needs are trivial... I have DPX10, but could also do everything very easily in P&GD. Purposely staying away now from website development, it's a can of worms and after all is said and done your net profit isn't much. Also staying away from video -- that's for the next generation coming up, I haven't the patience now to make the edits.

Bookstores are toast. Lost four in the high-income Del Mar, California area last year. None left, have to drive 10 miles to buy a book. As noted in the above posts, hooray for Amazon. The Sears-Roebuck catalog of our time. And now, of GREAT interest to me as an author/publisher, Amazon Createspace will deliver a print-on-demand copy of your book in TWO DAYS. Scary fast... here is SoCal, they have a big POD operation up in San Bernardino.

I hate Facebook. Tried it, didn't like it, then spent about a week trying to disconnect from it. Ebola of the social media world.

What works? Word of mouth, always. And, same as ever -- sell something very specific to highly-targeted affluent customers. Sell as high up the food chain as possible... to well-off (but not mega-rich) clients, and also to the person in the client's company who has the authority to sign an order. Sell for enough money so that you can afford to go after those new customers yourself -- personally -- instead of relying on internet leads. Don't sell to governments, or to any corporation so large and muddled that it takes a month to get paid.

And for fun, sell something really cheap and awful to the super-rich. The beautiful people, sort of, if you can imagine the visually-terrifying shock effect of Donatella Versace coming to your door selling Amway. Those folks with the failed plastic surgeries, the women crammed into hideous outfits designed by misogynistic gays, the men with their $300,000 tourbillon wristwatches and their never-driven Ferrari automobiles, and all of them endlessly trying to out-do the others to get to the top of their tiny manure pile. But they have a lot of money, and are easy to sell to -- because they all must have things that others in their small group have. Vacation in the exactly the same place, buy the same bag, whatever. They are VERY uncomfortable operating outside that groupspace, which opens the door for you to sell any piece of junk into it. Marketing 2015!