Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara » pdf = No link

For years I'm using Xara Photo & Graphic Designer, no version 10 , started with 4/5.
    After moving to a new computer there was no pdf export anymore.

Related to other software I have Cute, Fox Phantom and so on , as pdf printer.

Made a few ebooks about holidays some years ago, holding weblinks to my holiday website. No problem at all.
    Now ( don't if its an issue ) on Windows 8.1 .

Made a new one this week. But .... no export to pdf.
    Yesterday after a visit at this forum, I learned I have to start this Xara no 10 as an administrator, so I did.
    Now I can export to pdf

That is to say : not the weblinks. Made about 100 variations, no link.

Made a simple tekstdocument.xar (see att) , with a textlink, a link within a button and a textlink within a rectangle ( with no-colour )
    Result : no link.
    They all do have a small black square upper left corner.

And the old ebooks - links from the xar file, won't run anymore.

some idea ?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Xara » pdf = No link

If you are trying to export using one of the PDF/X types of PDF, don't. Use one of the higher PDF versions, but hyperlinks should work as long as you can check the box in the screen shot.

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-002490.png 
Views:	180 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	105456

Though the above screen shot doesn't show that box checked, I checked it, produced a PDF and the screen shot below shows the hyperlink works.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-002491.png 
Views:	180 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	105457

Mike

Thanks for your answer, Mike.

Nevertheless, I can see on the PNG the popup with the url, then I get a bigger png, but no effective jump to the webaddress
    (saved local and displayed in Firefox , because IE refuses to cooperate )

For a good understanding : with 'PDF/X types of PDF' do you mean the pdf-printers like Cute, Fox and so on ?
    And 'the higher PDF versions' only Adobe' ?

I've made a temporarily work-around : bij setting in advance the textlink-title without the link 1-3 times.
    Then export by Xara or whatever.
    And afterwards - using Fox Reader - I add behind the textvalues the real url with an rectangle highlighted. And that's working in FF and IE from the pdf.
    But far from ideal.

It is annoying, but it has worked in Xara Web Designer 6 and Xara Design/photo 9.

Is it possible, there's a difference between European versions and American ?
    Is it possible, there's a new pdf policy on url - handling ?

I tried a bit from pdf to Internet Explorer, and it works like a charm.
    so....
    I stumbled upon this https://support.mozilla.org/nl/questions/937604, about 2 years old, which sais : some url's will not be read by Firefox from a PDF because of a specific format or Adobe plugin.

Probably the main reason for the problem because FF has been my favorite for years.
    I posted the same question to day at the Mozilla forum.

More users with the same experience ?

Quote Originally Posted by dutchie View Post
    Probably the main reason for the problem because FF has been my favorite for years.
    I posted the same question to day at the Mozilla forum.

More users with the same experience ?
    A PDF exported from an Xara product with links will work in all modern browsers (and most older browsers, even an older version of FF)...with the exception of any modern Firefox. Why? Because of FF's stupid, crippled PDF handler.

It isn't an Xara application issue.

Not only are you not in control of what browser (nor browser version) people use, you also are not in control of how a PDF is handled by a browser. For instance, I do not open PDFs in a browser at all (for the most part). I have browsers set to download them. They then open in Adobe Acrobat.

Your issue is only with Mozilla and its browser plug-in.

Good luck.

Your issue is only with Mozilla and its browser plug-in.
    Correct, Mike.

Have had contact with FF by Twitter.

Years ago, I went over to Firefox, because they had a nice collection of developer tools.
    But now their build-in pdf viewer isn't what is needed.

In the meantime I've installed Adobe Reader, and the Xare links are visible and working

Thanks for helping.