Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't access links...

After logging in and searching for a solution to "can't find the filter to import that file" when trying to view an entire template for suitability for a potential client who happened to be sitting next to me, I came across a forum thread regarding that issue. One of the replies had a link to a topic discussing the issue, but when I clicked on the link I got a popup that said I was not allowed access. Not sure why I am denied access, after logging in, but between WD 10 Premium Issues and forum issues, it's getting frustrating. I will try to reload the entire program from the disc and see if I get better luck.

In the interim, if anyone can provide insight that doesn't include accessing a link on the forum, I would appreciate it. More for me in the future than the potential client... he walked out.

Dave
    "Old enough to know better... too young to resist"

Default Unable to find the filter to import that file with

From the Xara Knolwedge Base article 2886:
    An error is displayed when previewing/exporting a web page / A dll error is displayed when Web Designer.

Solution
    If you encounter this specific problem (the "Unable to find the filter to import that file with." error when trying to export, preview or publish your website) it would be very helpful if you could help us to try to track down the problem. Rather than just running the program as administrator, please perform the following steps:

1. Quit Web Designer/Xtreme/Designer if running.

2. Run the DebugView program. This can be run directly from the link at
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...rnals.com&ac=8

3. Run Web Designer.

4. Click the export and preview button.

5. Quit Web Designer again.

6. In DebugView select Save As from the File menu and save the output to somewhere you can find it (it should default to the standard Documents folder).

7. Download TestFilters.zip. Save the zip file locally prior to extracting the contents. Upon completion, enable debugview and then run TestFilters.exe prior to generating a new log file

8. Go to http:\\support.xara.com and submit a ticket, either uploading the file you saved or copying and pasting the contents into the report itself. Please mention the error you are getting and what the log file is (e.g. log file for export website failure / log for dll errors when starting the program).

The log file from TestFilters.zip will help us to track down and fix the problem in any future updates.

If you prefer not to send the log files then you can try the run as administrator workaround by right clicking on the desktop shorcut and selecting 'run as administrator' which will resolve the problem.

Default Re: Unable to find the filter to import that file with

I have the log. I will submit to Support.
    The TestFilters.zip goes to a 404 Error page.

SuperDave - did you get a resolve yet?
    I just purchased the program with great hopes and I'm having the same issue - like REALLY!!
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by raysalyer View Post
    SuperDave - did you get a resolve yet?
    I just purchased the program with great hopes and I'm having the same issue - like REALLY!!
    Ray
    Yes. I resolved it just today, a couple of hours ago.

I have the shortcut link on my desktop. I had to right-click on the ICON and choose Run as Administrator... apparently, that is different than being logged in as Administrator and running the program. The program will open and re-set the necessary file structure to clear up the problem. You supposedly only need to do this one time.

I cannot explain the logic behind being logged in as Administrator not working and right-clicking the ICON on the desktop and Run Program as Administrator working. They do things differently across the pond

Hope it works for you.

Dave

No, it isn't different across the pond.

For whatever reason when an application is installed, even when installing as an administrator, not all DLLs and/or the file structure is created with proper administrator rights and/or permissions. This also happens on a Mac, not just a Windows computer. Running the application as Administrator from the icon often (but not always) sets these permissions and/or registers the DLLs properly.

It can happen on any computer or application regardless of locale--common with Adobe software, too.

SuperDave - You Rock man!! It worked for me too!
    Thanks A TON

Happy New Year from Michigan!!
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    No, it isn't different across the pond.

For whatever reason when an application is installed, even when installing as an administrator, not all DLLs and/or the file structure is created with proper administrator rights and/or permissions. This also happens on a Mac, not just a Windows computer. Running the application as Administrator from the icon often (but not always) sets these permissions and/or registers the DLLs properly.

It can happen on any computer or application regardless of locale--common with Adobe software, too.
    I know... I just wanted to take a friendly Jab at our friends on the left side of the road...

Ray,
    Sweet!
    Enjoy the rest of 2014... and may 2015 be much better!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    I cannot explain the logic behind being logged in as Administrator not working and right-clicking the ICON on the desktop and Run Program as Administrator working. They do things differently across the pond
    Long or short of it is that there are two types of administrators, User administrators and the system administrator. Right-clicking a program shortcut and clicking "Run as Administrator" uses the latter, which is needed to register the DLL's needed by Xara. Here's a good explanation of it:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...s-system-users

Thanks
    Rob