Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shadow Effect - is this overkill?

Hi,

I've got some great eps file examples to help me learn about shadowing to create lifts and turns etc - or so I thought.

Here's an example of such (a portion focusing on just one of many shadows that follows the same pattern) along with it's shadow layered group.

My question is, do you really need to have that many layers of shadow decreasing in transparency to get this effect, or is this really OTT overkill (like someone has nothing better to do with their time lol)?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shadow Effect Example 01.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	105334

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shadow Effect Example LAYERS 01.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	105335

Default Re: Shadow Effect - is this overkill?

Whatever version of EPS file is at fault. In whatever made the illustration (likely AI), it was a single shadow. It is the format of the EPS that breaks it up.

If the shadows was created as a blend then I suppose you would have all those layers. I would just create a shadow shape, feather the edges and apply a Linear Stained Glass transparency to achieve the same effect.

Personally, I find the best way to learn about shadowing is working with a 3D program. While it won't help you depict shadowing in a 2D illustration program, it will help you understand light, direction of light, direction of shadows, depth of shadowing, reflective light, ambient light and more. I usually spend as much effort necessary to convey the idea of shadows, I generally don't try to actually replicate it to perfection. Most people viewing graphics lack the technical skill to recognize if something perfectly depicts a realistic representation. It only has to be close enough, in my opinion, not perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Whatever version of EPS file is at fault. In whatever made the illustration (likely AI), it was a single shadow. It is the format of the EPS that breaks it up.
    Phew, was thinking it can't be that much work involved. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    If the shadows was created as a blend then I suppose you would have all those layers. I would just create a shadow shape, feather the edges and apply a Linear Stained Glass transparency to achieve the same effect.
    Never thought about the effect of blends on layers - need to keep that in mind. Thanks Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Personally, I find the best way to learn about shadowing is working with a 3D program. While it won't help you depict shadowing in a 2D illustration program, it will help you understand light, direction of light, direction of shadows, depth of shadowing, reflective light, ambient light and more. I usually spend as much effort necessary to convey the idea of shadows, I generally don't try to actually replicate it to perfection. Most people viewing graphics lack the technical skill to recognize if something perfectly depicts a realistic representation. It only has to be close enough, in my opinion, not perfect.
    That sounds like good advice - any particular program you prefer that you think would help me to learn?

Both Mike & Gary have got it right. Just delete all of those layers and do your own shadow if you have a bitmap copy of the file that you imported so that you can see where the shadow is going. Most people who do shadows, if it's going to be printed, avoid using RGB effects and use vector shadows and the Blend Tool is good for this. The thing is that many other programmes export blends in different ways which leads to problems when imported into another drawing programme like Xara. If your trying to learn this Xara programme go to the Xone and search for the effect/drawing that you want to do both Gary B & Gary P have spent years showing people how to work in Xara and the tutorials are "Awesome".

If cant find what your looking for then it's never been done before so if it's not in Gary B's video tutorials Gary P's in the archives as they go from 1996 to the present: http://www.xaraxone.com/
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Both Mike & Gary have got it right. Just delete all of those layers and do your own shadow if you have a bitmap copy of the file that you imported so that you can see where the shadow is going. Most people who do shadows, if it's going to be printed, avoid using RGB effects and use vector shadows and the Blend Tool is good for this. The thing is that many other programmes export blends in different ways which leads to problems when imported into another drawing programme like Xara. If your trying to learn this Xara programme go to the Xone and search for the effect/drawing that you want to do both Gary B & Gary P have spent years showing people how to work in Xara and the tutorials are "Awesome".

If cant find what your looking for then it's never been done before so if it's not in Gary B's video tutorials Gary P's in the archives as they go from 1996 to the present: http://www.xaraxone.com/
    Thanks Albacore

Sketchup is free and a fairly powerful 3D program to learn on.