Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Using Xara Designer Pro X10 to color drawings for a book. Help

I have a line drawing that I did in xara designer pro x10. I need help on the coloring process for filling in characters and foliage with color.

Default Re: Using Xara Designer Pro X10 to color drawings for a book. Help

It might help if you posted your .XAR file or a .JPG version of it so we could see. Not knowing how you did the line drawing, are there interior areas of white space you can select and apply colors? If not you'll have to create an outline shape of the areas that need color fills.

Just guessing, you mentioned filling in foliage with color. Sometimes I use a water color palatte - soft colors. Then pick two colors to use as foilage, I imagine that being two shades of green. Use fractal color fill with a soft transition between colors. To me it has a very water color result and looks good, even natural and as if not created in vector - painterly, in style. I would use a similar scheme in other objects that need filling and use of solid colors where appropriate. Again, if you posted the artwork you intend to color, it would help a lot in coming up with the best solution for you. Not doing so, leaves me guessing on how best to approach your needs.

The map image below shows what I mean by using fractal color mixes and achieving a water color look. I used a scanned hand-drawing of pen and ink lineart (something I whipped up) then proceeded to create the shapes for various content that needed color, and took the steps described above to achieve the final look? Note the deeper water sections are their own shapes with varying percentages of transparency applied on a stack of semi-transparent layers. Also I use bevels extensively in my work to emulate surface depth - it helps to depict a map.

Does this help?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterfall-final-800.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	105271

Name:	Shasha 1.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	105272
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sasha Xara #1.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	105273  

Can't see much in the second illustration, but it depends on what you want your final to appear as. You could use solid colors or the water color emulation I suggested already. Use the pen tool to draw the interior shapes, lower the freehand smoothing down to 8 to 12, drop the line width to 0 pixels and draw in all your interior shapes (shapes that need color). Once shapes are created choose a color palatte (a range of 8 or so colors that complement each other), and start filling shapes with colors or color mixes.

Thank you for the help so far. so far I've been trying to use the fill tool to color in the shirt, hands face, etc. It worked once for the left hand but won't work again. Would you have a solution for this? Thanks again

Here I did a quick shape creation and application of the color fractal fill. Also once the color was done, I applied a stain-glass transparency so the linework could show through. You need to create shapes for everything: sky, background hill, flowers, rock seat, person, etc. The first image to the left shows the outline shape of the tree in default solid black. I used 2 shades of brown to create the color scheme of the tree trunk, with fractal color fill applied. Does this help?

Name:	color-sample.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	105274

That helps a lot, but could tell me how to outline the shapes? Lol sorry I'm all new to this