Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Can I accomplish this with Xara Xtreme 5?.....noobie

Hi folks, I discovered Xara xtreme through a gage design tutorial for Flightsim FSX.

I now have version 5 of Xara Xtreme. If this version doesn't do what I want; I'll gladly upgrade to 10 or whatever may accomplish my goal.

Rather than look at a bazillion tutorials here(Thanks Everyone); I would like to explain what I want to do with this program.

Then, If you say it's possible, then I'll be more than happy to upgrade if needed and or look at any tutorials pertaining. Bottom line, I just don't know where to start right now.

I do have the Xara Xtreme Guide, from Mr. Bouton. I looked through it, didn't find an example thus far.

Please understand, I'm not asking for a step by step handhold(Ok, if you want too. :-)). Just want to explain what I'm trying to do, and you folks advise if it's possible to accomplish.

1.OK, I have a bitmap I'm using of an aircraft panel. Originally it was in a DDS format. I resave as a 24bit bmp to use in Xara.

2. OK, I used the shape tool and drew an outline around a portion of the bmp. I'm trying to extrude a little section from the line shape I drew.

3. Convert to editable shape, then use extrude on that selection. It shifts my image and doesn't accomplish the extrude correctly. I have watched some tutorials on extrusion of shapes. Mine doesn't do what the tutorial shows.
    I don't know what I'm doing incorrectly, just not working right for me.

Basically, there are areas of the panel that have a raised appearance due to shadowing, as well as a sunken appearance. Being inset to the panel. I wanted to outline the raised areas, to actually extrude it up a little, to give a true 3D appearance,
    rather than just using shadows on a 2D surface.

When the bmp was used in the sim, if you looked at it from the side, you would see the areas extended out a little. Hope this makes sense to folks.

Bottom line. Can I select an area on my panel bmp, extrude that selection out a little to give it a 3D appearance with shadows.
    Resave the bmp with those 3D changes, and it would have that 3D appearance in the sim when used as the bmp?

Or am I totally misunderstanding the extrude stuff in Xara?

Any insight appreciated. I don't want to waste time, trying to accomplish something, not doable.

Apologies for the length of post. I don't do too well sometimes when trying to convey thoughts with typing.

Best,
    David

Default Re: Can I accomplish this with Xara Xtreme 5?.....noobie

David, try drawing an outline shape to match the part you want to extrude.
    Then with the Fill tool apply your bitmap. You then have to scale and align to the desired shape.
    Finally, apply your extrude.

You can feather and fade and tweak the lighting to best effect.

Another approach might be to use the outline shape and the slice operation to cut out portions form a copy and superimpose the over the original.
    You can move, scale, feather and distort to create an impression of depth, but it would be subtle.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    David, try drawing an outline shape to match the part you want to extrude.
    Then with the Fill tool apply your bitmap. You then have to scale and align to the desired shape.
    Finally, apply your extrude.

You can feather and fade and tweak the lighting to best effect.

Another approach might be to use the outline shape and the slice operation to cut out portions form a copy and superimpose the over the original.
    You can move, scale, feather and distort to create an impression of depth, but it would be subtle.

Acorn
    Thank You Acorn.

I think i might have been on the right track.
    Have the outline, just didn' t do a fill. Will try with contrasting color, just to see how it will look to me.
    Appreciate the steps, makes it easier.
    Based on your expertise, do I really need to upgrade to Pro, or will 5 work for my accomplishments.

Best, David

David, I would imagine XX5 will do the job.
    That's why I've stuck with Xara over the years: a good product with well-defined features from the start.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat