Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default has anyone hosted a site on hostgator.com?

Has anybody hosted a website that they built using Pro Designer 10?

I have countless hours on this site I'm building and for some reason can not get it on the internet.

I can see all the files on hostgator.com

also i noticed it is generating 2 index files...

index (this is a blank white page)
    and
    index_a ( this is the website i can see it through my desktop)

thanks in advanced

Frank

Default Re: has anyone hosted a site on hostgator.com?

I hosted a client site on Hostgator and I cannot remember why but I did not like them.

Check to make sure you are posting your files to the right folder. Most web hosting companies as you to upload to a specific sub folder, something like public_html, htdocs, etc.

If Hostgator requires you to post to a specific sub folder you can do this in Website Properties > Publish Settings > (my attached screen shot assumes the web host requires files to be posted to public_html)

If you create a new page and do not name the page (either in the Page and Layer Gallery or Website Properties > Page > Page Title) Xara gives the new page the same name as the previous page and appends an a, b, c., etc. I think the assumption is you with change the name to something more appropriate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sub-folder.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	105028  

A lot of hosting companies put a default page in place on the account, sometimes blank, sometimes their "a website is coming soon to this space" kind of thing. Typically, you would just delete whatever they have put there and upload your stuff to that root folder. In regards to the index_a thing, you probably have your home page set to that name, which will cause you a problem since there are some default names that a hosting account will know to display when someone doesn't specify a file name. In your case, your viitor would have to put http://www.yourdomain.com/index_a.htm in their address bar to get to your site. In order for it to know what the "default page" is for a site when not specified, it needs to be one of the names in the "list" that your hosting account uses. Usually, this would include index.htm, index.html, home.html, index.php, etc. There is also an order of preference, so to be sure, you want to make sure that you don't have two files named as names within that list or you may not know which one is going to be given preference over the others.

This is not a Host Gator thing, it's a hosting thing in general and while there are some standards, each company can do it how they like.

Does that help?

slavelle - I tried to explain the source of the index-a page. The site in question has an index page as well. Please read my post.

Hi you will probably find you have a blank page above your first page - this happens if you drag a website template from the design gallery onto a blank page .so once published your index page will be blank .

right click on any page and click multiple page view then scroll to the top and delete the 1st blank page .

then re-publish

but then again I could be wrong :-)

cheerz

Quote Originally Posted by trukkerz View Post
    Hi you will probably find you have a blank page above your first page - this happens if you drag a website template from the design gallery onto a blank page .so once published your index page will be blank .

right click on any page and click multiple page view then scroll to the top and delete the 1st blank page .

then re-publish

but then again I could be wrong :-)

cheerz
    Good call, I'd put money on it being that.
    You probably have to delete index first then rename index_a to index.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you everybody... Not even sure how I fixed it but seems to work.
    Thank you again
    I think it was a page refresh. ????

FYI - I have several sites on Hostgator. No problems but I feel load times are a little slow at times. Make sure you are uploading to the public_html directory.

I have many sites on Hostgator and, from my experience, will stay with hostgator.

I love hostgator hosting one for all needs of my websites