Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Can anybody explain to me why Corel decided to change its perfectly configurable easy-to-use, professional-looking interface of version 8-9 to something that smells of amateur-level simple hog-wash app instead. Yes, saying... it's even more customizable than ever... All those icons and pix on every menu and pop-up things where needed and not only clutter the workspace terribly and make it look eh... trashy... and working with it is downright clumsy, then when it comes to customization only the basic stuff is left... and I lost my Corel setting that I collected for YEARS. I've been with Corel since version 4. I have both version 10 and 11 but trashed them both in a pile of other useless CDs because Version 9 HAS IT ALL that you need and still beats Illustrator or whoever is around... and it's a whole lot more fun to work with... not to mention that versions 10 and 11 sometimes can't open version 9 files correctly, such as losing trasparancies, blends, font information and so on.

SO WHY??? DIDN"T ANYONE EVER TELL THESE FOLKS AT COREL WHAT THEY DID TO THEIR FORMERLY WONDERFUL PRODUCT in quest of making a business app for each and everyone? Din't notice people jump on that wagon, either. It just lies around, professional don't buy, laypeson would not buy simple because of the daunting definition "grapgucs suite". It's meant to be a high-end graphics application, isn't it? So why make it something like version 10 or 11?

I'm stuck with version 9 and as far as I can tell this will be the last version I'll use and then maybe FreeHand or Illustrator does something to amaze me in the long run.

SO WHY? ANY IDEAS?
    Yes, it's me.
    IP

Can anybody explain to me why Corel decided to change its perfectly configurable easy-to-use, professional-looking interface of version 8-9 to something that smells of amateur-level simple hog-wash app instead. Yes, saying... it's even more customizable than ever... All those icons and pix on every menu and pop-up things where needed and not only clutter the workspace terribly and make it look eh... trashy... and working with it is downright clumsy, then when it comes to customization only the basic stuff is left... and I lost my Corel setting that I collected for YEARS. I've been with Corel since version 4. I have both version 10 and 11 but trashed them both in a pile of other useless CDs because Version 9 HAS IT ALL that you need and still beats Illustrator or whoever is around... and it's a whole lot more fun to work with... not to mention that versions 10 and 11 sometimes can't open version 9 files correctly, such as losing trasparancies, blends, font information and so on.

SO WHY??? DIDN"T ANYONE EVER TELL THESE FOLKS AT COREL WHAT THEY DID TO THEIR FORMERLY WONDERFUL PRODUCT in quest of making a business app for each and everyone? Din't notice people jump on that wagon, either. It just lies around, professional don't buy, laypeson would not buy simple because of the daunting definition "grapgucs suite". It's meant to be a high-end graphics application, isn't it? So why make it something like version 10 or 11?

I'm stuck with version 9 and as far as I can tell this will be the last version I'll use and then maybe FreeHand or Illustrator does something to amaze me in the long run.

SO WHY? ANY IDEAS?
    Yes, it's me.
    IP

Hello skareta:
    I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. I also started with CorelDraw4 and have just upgraded from CD7 to CD11 and I really am impressed. I like the GUI and have not had much of a learning curve, at least not yet.

I must also say I never customize the GUI of any program I use because of the frequent crashes with the Windows OS. I have learned to work with the defaults, in the long run it has saved me time.

One problem I have noticed with CD11 PhotoPaint upon launching it does not show the minimize, restore and close buttons (upper right) and covers the "Start" task bar (bottom of screen) but hitting Ctrl + the "Windows" keys does miminize it and shows the "Start" task bar as well. It works normaly after that and CD11 Draw launches properly every time!

Not much help I guess - but just wanted to tell you my approach. Perhaps more experienced uses here will be able to offer better insights.

Bob C.

[This message was edited by Bob C. on February 03, 2003 at 07:56.]
    IP