Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canvas 8

Sorry to pick this thread up again,

but I would really be interested in Gary's (or anybody else's) (re)view on Canvas 8.

What do ya think?
    - vector tools
    - bitmap tools
    - ease of use / speed
    - program as a whole
    - can it replace xarax / ai / fh / ps / fw?*

* I did not mention corel, 'cause I just don't like it (and their customer service / sales department is among the worst I ever experienced)

Thank you!

Sorry to post and run

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What do ya think?
    - vector tools
    - bitmap tools
    - ease of use / speed
    - program as a whole
    - can it replace xarax / ai / fh / ps / fw?*

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vector Tools are very good although the interactive interface takes a bit of getting used to. I still like Xara's and CorelDRAW's interactive implemtation better, but that is probably because I am used to the way they work.

Bitmap Tools are exceptional for any vector drawing application. You can actually do pixel editing and create pixel selection masks, which means that in addition to doing some image editing you can apply plug-in filter effects that require a pixel selection which none of the other vector applications can do.

Ease of Use - Speed. Fast and pretty well thought out. The tools on the toolbar get a bit sloppy when open the flyouts with their nested flyouts. It feels like they swept everything under the carpet here :-)

Program as a whole is excellent. It is, to use the much overused metaphor, the Swiss Army Knife of applications.

Can it replace Xara X. In many respects yes. Is it as fast and easy to use as Xara X? No. Because it can do so many things, it does tend to get bogged down a bit.

I use Xara X for illustration and web graphics and for this, IMHO, Xara is the best. But if you need to do multi-page desktop publishing, 3D modeling and extrusions, bitmap editing, or are just looking for the one application that can do all, then it's CorelDRAW (poor tech support and bugs and all) and Canvas. But for me, the passion that Xara X engenders and exudes is not in either of those.

Canvas 8 is worlds better than FreeHand, whose only strength is the Interactive Perspective tool. It is better than Illustrator by a long shot.

You can read my review of Canvas 8 at CreativePro.com It is almost the same review as appeared in Communication Arts Magazine.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Hello Gary,
    I enjoyed your article on Canvas 8. Thanks for posting about it. As I said in a previous post I have had this software through various upgrades.

Hi there [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Just curious in whether or not Deneba has changed the method on how one opens up graphic files or does one still have to know which type of file they are looking to open? This one quirk was perhaps the single reason why I did not look beyong version 6...

Thanks for your replies and the great article!

I like XaraX to prepare my flash work, it's a real time-saver.

But I'm looking for another program with bitmap tools in addition to XaraX.

I don't like Corel PhotoPaint, tried PSP and thought Canvas might be interesting, 'cause it can do vectors as well as bitmap.

I'll go with XaraX and Photoshop 7 or XaraX and Canvas 8 (slowly getting used to the Canvas interface, the more I play with it, the more I like it).

[This message was edited by cyberdao on February 26, 2002 at 17:38.]

Another app huh?

One could always try Photo Impact...
    You gotta know this app is loaded with stuff, every thing from the run of the mill vector stuff to aa very complete effects gallery, to a on the canvas slicer and optimizer and html stuff, remote java nav builder, oh yea one shouldn't forget the in app file browser, document browser, layer manager, on and on it goes...and flash export to boot [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ulead.com

Yes, I had been using PI years ago, can't remember why I gave up on it, maybe, I should download a trial again...