Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canvas 8

I'm currently working on a review of Deneba Canvas 8 for Communication Arts Magazine (my Xara review is due out in the Design Annual issue later this month).

Canvas is pretty cool. I'm especially impressed by its interface design and engineering.

It is a bit quirky to be sure, but it is worth a look.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

I'm currently working on a review of Deneba Canvas 8 for Communication Arts Magazine (my Xara review is due out in the Design Annual issue later this month).

Canvas is pretty cool. I'm especially impressed by its interface design and engineering.

It is a bit quirky to be sure, but it is worth a look.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

What does it do?

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Gary, you have been a help for many years. The tutorials in Publish and Corel magazines were key in teaching me a few neat tricks, thank you. I had Canvas 3.25 as my starter many years ago. Was clunky, crude and fun. I outgrew it when FreeHand 5 came out. Over the years there have been many upgrades to Canvas. Yet it is still so unsupported when it comes time to send work out to the printer. I miss the program, and would love to have a good reason to own it. I use all Macromedia products, with Adobe PS and Pressready as well. What does Canvas bring to the table?
    I honor YOUR opinion! -Jeff

As a result of comments in previous posts, I have downloaded and am testing Canvas 8, Expression 2, Real-Draw Pro and Zoner Draw 4.
    They are all pretty good in their own right, particularly Canvas 8 & Real Draw.
    Both Canvas 8 & Expression 2 are a bit pricey ($199 and $149 respectively) but the other two are only $49 each, which is very good value.
    Real-Draw Pro is probably best for features, and incredibly inexpensive for what you get.
    They all give XaraX a run for it's money!!

I highly recommend downloading and trying all four.
    Canvas 8 is a fully-functional trial for 15 days, the others are fully-functional for 30 days each.

I intend to purchase them all.

Chris

Just a tip that Canvas 6 is free on the latest UK Digit magazine ( http://www.digitmag.co.uk ) - and there is an upgrade offer.

Øystein

http://www.heimesider.com

I am beginning to like and use Canvas more and more as I get used to it. It has the best line and shape drawing tools I know, and rivals CorelDraw in text capability. Pity about the spell checker not being in International English..
    Tony
    Tony

Canvas is a "all in one" graphics application.It combines vector,raster and DTP capabilities in one application. It also be used to create presentations as well as web sites. One of its excellent capabilities is something that Deneba, (the maker of Canvas), calls SpriteEffects. SpriteEffects gives the user the capability of applying bitmap effects, (such as gaussian blur, add noise, etc) to vector objects. The vector object that has a SpriteEffect applied to it remains completely editable.

Since everything is done within one application there is no need to switch between vector, bitmap editing, or page layout programs to complete a project.

I have found the learning curve kind of steep. However I started using it after I was somewhat familiar with the more traditional applications and other people for whom Canvas was the first graphics application they had used have said that they found it very intuitive. This is probably because I am old and set in my ways and have formed certain working habits, and since Canvas operates somewhat differently, I became frustrated at first. But after using it for a while I've really come to enjoy it.

I also started using Canvas years ago when it came out in version 3.5. I later put V 5 on my laptop and used it for line drawings. I have kept up all versions over the years and currently have Canvas 8. It has become one of my favorites over Freehand, Coral Draw and Illustrator. XaraX is coming on strong now since I just got it about 3 weeks ago.

I have the demo of version8. Compaired to XaraX, it's quite slow with working and moving objects and zooming (from my experience with it anyway). Some vector tools are awesome ... like the vector push tool with adjustable area of effect so you can push in smaller or larger section of the edge of a shape!

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com