Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Unable to add links to other pages

I just received my new Web Designer 10 Premium and I'm trying to built links to other pages in my site but it doesn't work...I first had Web Designer 7 and there was no problem at all, it worked all perfect. In 10 it seems to be quite the same procedure (linking pictures, objects, text etc in the Web Properties to other pages). In the builder I see -when clicking the linked object- the pop up indicating the link has been made to the right page. The textlink appears underlined. But in Preview there is no link at all....I don't believe I forgot something...A problem in my (legal and registred ;-) ) copy?????

Default Re: Unable to add links to other pages

Welcome Itk53. Ensure your links are above everything elso on that layer.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Welcome to TalkGraphics Itk53

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Ensure your links are above everything elso on that layer.
    Many strange things happens....I first made a page with a transparent background picture, put the properly linked objects above and then they totally disappeared in the Preview...WYSIWYG seems to be not WYSIWYG... I tried all possibilities to rearrange the layers and pictures in the page and layergallery, nothing works.

Now I started a new totally clean test project, placed 2 pictures on a totally empty page and linked them to URL's. No problem at all. In Preview it works perfect. Afterwards I placed a third picture as a transparant background on the same page, still no problem with the links. But now, in the page-layer gallery I see the correct thumbnail of this page but in "page background" and "pasteboard background", I don't see the 3 pictures, only the empty white rectangle page.....I added a second page with the same background picture: In the gallery the thumbnail is empty without picture, but I can see the picture in "pastboard background"....
    Then I placed a new picture above the background and made a link, the picture appears above in the pastboard background gallery, but the link doesn't work...

I cannot follow this....
    Last edited by ltk53; 30 November 2014 at 09:50 AM.

Best thing to do is attach your web/xar file here.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I begin to understand the layers...In the Arrange topmenu it's much more difficult to see where the objects are than in the PageLayer gallery. Problem was some objects came in the Page background layer (I still don't understand why, but one day I will understand...;-) where the links didn't work or the objects completely disappeared in Preview, when I replace these objects in the MouseOff layer there is no problem any longer... I think the problems have been solved yet...Thankx.

Hi Itk53. Yes that's your problem. Most attributes should be put in the Mouse Off layer. You should only be placing the page background shape in the Page Background layer and the browser pasteboard shape/image in the Pasteboard layer.

To find out which layers a certain attribute is on either select the All Layers Visible/All Layers Editable. You can now select all assets on the page in the Selector Tool by holding down the Alt key and drilling down through each shape. OR look at the Status bar bottom left of the window and Xara informs you of what layer that asset is on.
    Egg

Thank you for your advice Egg Bramhill ! Now I can really start creating my new site ;-)

We look forward to seeing it. You can post a link on the Xara Website Gallery forum.