Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default November 2014 Video Tutorial -- The Importance of Backgrounds!

The Importance of Backgrounds!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top-page-billboard.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	104892

Backgrounds complete the image; they put your illustration into context, help the audience out visually, they enhance your drawing into a composition, and this is what Gary takes you through this month: how to build an innovative, content-rich room behind a drawing that complements your work instead of stealing the show. See the video and download the resource files at Xaraxone.com.

Don't be shy; show us your background in this thread.
    Last edited by Gare; 26 November 2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Bug has been fixed. Offensive little green bug icon has been removed.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Default Re: November 2014 Video Tutorial -- The Importance of Backgrounds!

Sorry, members!

We had a bug—past tense—early this morning with the download button for the resource files. Life is fine now, you can return to your homes, the emergency is under control, there's nothing to see here.

The WordPress editor has a nasty "enhancement" that puts spaces between words, even though file names in Eunuchs aren't supposed to have spaces. So Barbara "spaced out" in the early hours this morning.

Actually, in situations like these, you should notify a Mod or an Admin, or if you want to spend $3.89 U.S. at a hardware (or software) store, they got this great stuff called "No Mercy" that kills bugs.

Name:	No-Mercy-bug-killer.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	104895

The picture above is also a great opportunity to get snarky ad put the name of the manufacturer on it. I was tempted to put Microsoft on the bottom, because no one know more about system bugs than they do.

ooops.

Come play now. I think you'll like the result of the tutorial and can apply GenoPal to a host of creative purposes.

Let's see them!

My Best,

Gary

That's a great video and tut. Gary which I will be starting next. Downloaded Genopal but for some reason or other my computer doesn't like it or vice or verca, everytime I tried to run it I'd get the message Genopal is not working properly and my comp. froze? Glad I kept all those Genopal pallettes you gave us a while ago

Stygg

Hi Stygg—

Well, it's a beta, your machine might be the culprit, or your Deity of choice might not be taking kindly to you, after you put your McDonald's wrapper into a street busker's violin case.

Let me see if I can't communicate this to Sivam, who is a chum and the engineer behind GenoPal, and as far as the tutorials goes? I did both a wood and a wallpaper screen cap locked on a hidden layer on the second page of the document:

Name:	Hidden swatches.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	104896

I'm writing him now, Stygg.

Thanks, Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 26 November 2014 at 03:31 PM.

I can't use GenoPal either, a box pops up telling me I have to download NETframework v4.5 and I'm wondering if I do download it if it will make changes to the way my programs run or cause them to not run or ????????? Should I download NETframework v4.5 and does it require removal of older versions already on my machine????
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

I'm waiting for an answer for the lead programmer, sorry, Maya!

I believe that I did have to download the new Frameworks and install it because GenoPal needs it.

However, I can say...and this is only my machine...that it worked, the thing obviously installed..and is running just fine.

I would be a rude so-and-so to publish his email here. Try snooping around the site for additional help/information. I'm sorry to be putting this on the member, and if you like, just use my own palettes provided in the Xara document to do the tutorial.

Yeah, GenoPal; is much more fun to integrate with Xara...I'm not the guy who programmed it, though.

Here's a couple more schemes, because that's the best I can do, sorry!

Name:	more color schemes from GenoPal.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	104898

-g

Well, Gare, I downloaded and installed the NETframework new version 4.5 but GenoPal still won't function. I tried the Windows look for a answer thingy and it had none only to send forth my info (I didn't) but it did highlight where it felt the problem was which I copied out here (the starred-out part is my change):

C:\Users\*********\AppData\Local\Temp\WER957B.tmp. WERInternalMetadata.xml
    C:\Users\*********\AppData\Local\Temp\WERABE9.tmp. appcompat.txt
    C:\Users\*********\AppData\Local\Temp\WERAF44.tmp. mdmp

Thanks for the other colors image! Guess I'll have to just use that.
    Last edited by Crow Haven; 26 November 2014 at 05:38 PM. Reason: don't ask
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

I've got an emergency request into GenoPal right now.

Please
    don't let this be a show-stopper, folks. I, and many people I know, use GenoPal quite successfully, and besides, he use of GenoPal is only tangential to the gist of the tutorial this month. It's a perk, not the heart and soul of what I'm trying to teach.

Please don't let this glitch end the tutorial, and if anyone has installed it successfully, pleases post her, okay?

Sorry and thanks,

Gary

Does this help in the least?

Name:	my local.png 
Views:	238 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	104899
    Last edited by Gare; 26 November 2014 at 09:28 PM.

Well, I gave it another shot by trying it through compatibility mode and still it won't fully launch -- just says it's stopped working. Another look at the problem details gave this:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: genopal.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 03: 545c8c45
    Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
    Problem Signature 05: 4.0.30319.17929
    Problem Signature 06: 4ffa561c
    Problem Signature 07: 48b5
    Problem Signature 08: 34
    Problem Signature 09: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    -Mark Twain

Aarrrrgh! This wasn't my day, but here's one using the tute (yes, I know it's pretty plain and a bit distorted). Would have liked to use the GenoPal color picker options...but oh well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coffeebkgrndtutesm_mayas.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	104906  
    -Mark Twain