Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Default Re: November 2014 Video Tutorial -- The Importance of Backgrounds!

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    But your idea of using a rectangle and then perhaps extruding it and rotating it is a worthy one.
    That sounds also an interesting 'extrude tool calibration' question in Xara. So setting up the units of measures in meter or cm in Xara, extruding a 22 cm high prism (vase with flower) with having a wall with 40 cm behind like Stygg's composition looks around, then switching on the floor shadow, that would result a 'real' shadow with its distance and shape if some spot lighting comes from that direction as Xara's fix shadow assumes?

Khm once would like to try so again comparing to Blender
    Last edited by csehz; 11 December 2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Khm or maybe the whole experiment has no sense :D

As heretical as it sounds, Xara doesn't do ray-traced shadows...it only offsets the profile and blurs it for "wall shadows" (these are called "drop shadows" elsewhere), and skews and disproprotionately scales profiles to accomplish Floor shadows ("cast shadows"). So if you want a three D shadow to accompany your 3D objects, you might avail yourself of a 3D program, just to use the result as a study.

By the way, when I generate shadows out of a 3D program, I never use the result. I always trace over it in Xara, making artistic correctional along the way.

Software sucks at making its own artwork. It takes a human brain to assemble the pieces so the composition pleases yourself and others.

-g

Quote Originally Posted by csehz View Post
    Okay maybe a person who model it in a 3D program or maybe setup the scene at home and do a photo
    My previous comment was aimed for this as if only want quickly to test how shadows work, then modelling something you already have as an 2D image might not be needed at all and would be lots of extra work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2Dforegnd1.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	105126   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2Dforegnd2.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	105127  

Quote Originally Posted by theinonen View Post
    My previous comment was aimed for this as if only want quickly to test how shadows work, then modelling something you already have as an 2D image might not be needed at all and would be lots of extra work.
    Yes! This is what I was trying to explain! The flower shadow over and beyond the bowl which follows where the vase shadow starts on the floor, light from above and left.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

You could also ask Gary for the OBJ file. You don't think I drew that purely out of my head, do you?

See attached, and yes, thinonen, that is a very smart way to approximate 3D data from a 2D file, congratulations on your ingenuity.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flower-and-bowl.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	105141

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Might have been a bit ambitious here but I gave it ago

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	News.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	105666  

It really was a great investment in time, stygg, honestly.

I love the way you conceived of it, and it certainly is ambitious, but you know something?

Even though you and I live 'cross the pond, and our news programs have different identifier graphics (I don't know of a better name than the CG titles!), I immediately recognized what you were artistically conveying. Success!

Now where are the Talking Heads?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Talking-heads-for-stygg.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	105668

Name:  smirk2.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  4.4 KB