Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Peter - See how you get the quality of a 8+ mb tiff in only 137kb? Even at 999% zoom you get great quality. 999% is the max for DjVu whereas with MrSID you can continue to zoom and zoom until you are lost in a pixel. (That's closer than I believe is necessary [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) So far I'm liking the DjVu approach more than MrSID. DjVu seems more flexible, and its encoder incorporates a viewer that's lacking from MrSID's encoder.

That photo you posted earlier that shows the bridge and the hills would be a great example to DjVu. I'd love to be able to zoom in and explore a highres scan of that photo.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Soquili - I'm glad it eventually worked for you. I had no problems with installation. I briefly looked at LizardTech's support pages and it struck me that users don't seem to be having much trouble with it.

I wonder if anyone can advise what happens when you open this thread and you don't have the plugin... I know you see a white placeholder rectangle where the image was spec'd to appear. What I'm wondering is: does your browser load the file even though it can't display it?

Regards, Ross

I can't help myself - below is another image. This one is for all the gel fanatics. If you zoom in you can see that I drew this one quite simply. Not quite as perfect as the other gel effects but still quite effective I think.

The file has compression ratio of 71! It was an 6,354kb .tiff file compressed with DjVu to just 89.1kb. The compressed file is 1200dpi.

<EMBED TYPE="image/x-djvu" SRC="http://www.designstop.com/test/question.djvu"HEIGHT=650 WIDTH=550 MENU=no ZOOM=stretch FRAME=no>

Hope ya like it! -- Regards, Ross

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on April 10, 2001 at 06:17 PM.]

Last one! I'm sure I'm posting too many kb's to this thread. Forgive me...

<EMBED TYPE="image/x-djvu" SRC="http://www.designstop.com/test/ross.djvu"HEIGHT=300 WIDTH=600 ZOOM=stretch PASSIVE=yes>

Regards, Ross

Hi Ross
    Just to say I've just downloaded the plug in and the encoder.
    I have'nt really had time to look at it yet, but I will.
    "I wonder if anyone can advise what happens when you open this thread and you don't have the plugin... I know you see a white placeholder rectangle where the image was spec'd to appear. What I'm wondering is: does your browser load the file even though it can't display it?"

Prior to the plug in the browser only showed a place holder the size of the image. As for wether it loaded the file I can't say now.

Egg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

so that it displays in the browser, but only gives me a link to download the file. What are you doing Ross that I'm not to get the image to load to the browser?
    Egg
    Egg

Hope this works:

<EMBED TYPE="image/x-djvu" SRC="http://www.petestack.com/forum/glencoe.djvu" WIDTH="623" HEIGHT="217" MENU="yes" ZOOM="stretch" FRAME="no">

Didn't even stop to read the stuff about HTML properly - just copied the gist of Ross's coding!

(Observation 1 - image height for the HTML includes the little toolbar - expect it tells you this somewhere, but you need to add approx. 26-27 pixels to your actual image height if the zoom's set to 'stretch'!)

Photo's from a nondescript 6"x4" print of a nine year old point-and-shoot snapshot, scanned at 720dpi (this portion equates to a 61K djvu file from a 15508K bmp), but be my guest anyway...

(Observation 2 - it's certainly not the equal of the original scan if you really zoom in, but it's not bad for a compression ratio of 258!)

Egg - you need to incorporate a bit of code in your message - it won't display if you just upload it as a straight attachment.

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on April 10, 2001 at 07:39 PM.]

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on April 10, 2001 at 07:55 PM.]

Egg - Peter is right. You need some code to display your image. Fortunately this forum allows you to open an editing window for other's posts. Do so and copy embed code. You will have to have your .djvu file hosted somewhere so you have an url to point the embed tag to.

There is in the "DjVu Solo" bits and pieces you downloaded, a readme file that describes all the embed options.

Also, when you encode the file, you get very different results from the various options. I've found the "photo" option gives a better result than "scan". (I don't know if I'm getting those names correct - I'm going from memory).

Peter - I very much like your hills. In this version I could virtually get closer and see the town. In your earlier posted version I wasn't aware of the town. Thanks...

Regards, Ross

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on April 10, 2001 at 08:22 PM.]

Downloaded the encoder and viewer. Was able to encode a file just fine, but can't seem to view them, either using the sample code they provided or the images already loaded in this forum.

Ross said:
    "Fortunately this forum allows you to open an editing window for other's posts."

Oh, really? Maybe you high-minded moderators can do so, but for a peon like me it won't allow me an editing window for one of your posts. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Any ideas how I should proceed?

joroho
    Wise men still seek Him.