Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

This post is a demonstration of DjVu image compression as developed by AT&T and now marketed by LizardTech. To see the image you will need to get the free browser plugin from djvu.com. A free for non-commercial use copy of the encoding software is also available. The technology is amazing and IMHO well worth almost any download time. [Note: It has been reported that the plugin crashes some setups using the Opera web browser - for others it apparently isn't a problem].

I drew this image of my son releaving himself at the beach in Xara X. I exported a .tiff that was 8756kb. The DjVu format image is 137kb. There isn't a whole lot of noticable difference between the two. This isn't a particularly good example of the technology. Much higher levels of compression are possible depending on the image.

<EMBED TYPE="image/x-djvu" SRC="http://www.designstop.com/test/scotty.djvu"HEIGHT=750 WIDTH=550 MENU=yes ZOOM=stretch FRAME=no>

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on April 14, 2001 at 07:04 AM.]

This post is a demonstration of DjVu image compression as developed by AT&T and now marketed by LizardTech. To see the image you will need to get the free browser plugin from djvu.com. A free for non-commercial use copy of the encoding software is also available. The technology is amazing and IMHO well worth almost any download time. [Note: It has been reported that the plugin crashes some setups using the Opera web browser - for others it apparently isn't a problem].

I drew this image of my son releaving himself at the beach in Xara X. I exported a .tiff that was 8756kb. The DjVu format image is 137kb. There isn't a whole lot of noticable difference between the two. This isn't a particularly good example of the technology. Much higher levels of compression are possible depending on the image.

<EMBED TYPE="image/x-djvu" SRC="http://www.designstop.com/test/scotty.djvu"HEIGHT=750 WIDTH=550 MENU=yes ZOOM=stretch FRAME=no>

Regards, Ross

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on April 14, 2001 at 07:04 AM.]

Ross,

At first I thought you were going even more minimalistic on us and just posted an empty canvas! Then I saw that you need that special plug-in...

I will have a look at that plug-in tomorrow. It sounds like a great thing.

Risto

Hi Ross, which one is the encoding software...Tao

Encoding software is called DjVu Solo 3.1

The paid version even incorporates optical character recognition - so although your djvu encoded file is a bitmap it can be text searched! The images can also include hyperlinks and be multi page documents.

Although this software tends to be used to compress large files it can be used to make modest file sizes even smaller. There are a number display options that can be set using the embed tag in html. The images don't have to display the menu bar for instance.

I think it is neat stuff with a lot of practical uses.

Regards, Ross

PS - I've added in a more modestly sized example - this one is just 7k. It is a DjVu'd example of what happens when you encode an already compressed (jpeg) file. The quality isn't much different from the jpg original but it is significantly smaller.

<EMBED TYPE="image/x-djvu" SRC="http://www.designstop.com/test/mercury.djvu"HEIGHT=600 WIDTH=600 PASSIVE=yes>

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on April 10, 2001 at 09:08 PM.]

Ross

I wrote a review of Lizard Tech's MrSid last year which is the compression software that they developed and which features much the same remarkable compression ratios.

They also have a model whereby the viewer does not have to have the viewer installed. Ahnd they have a commercial and personal version of the viewer.

Lizard Tech began in Los Alamos, New Mexixo where the key memebers developed a compression technology (MrSid) used by the FBI to compress fingerprint files. Hence the reference to Lizards.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Even So Humble...

I've always liked lizards, except when their tails come off.

Drove my mother crazy finding 'em in my pants pockets. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Gary - Is that review online somewhere? I just downloaded the free MrSids encoder - I'll have to try it.

Self-doubting, I get the feeling nobody here has downloaded the DjVu browser plugin. If they had they might have commented on the cute pic I posted. Maybe if I mention there is slight nudity the xartists will be more inclined to browse over to DjVu.Com??

Regards, Rossy

Very cute, Ross! But, who knows, if you'd implied gross nudity involving an attractive young lady (sorry, girls, I know that's a very sexist remark, so perhaps I ought to add that it's not at all serious!), perhaps there'd have been a mass scramble for the plug-in? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Attachment is just to prove I've been there... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on April 10, 2001 at 04:22 PM.]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Ross,

I like the drawings. I had some problems with the djVu plugin. I recommend that anyone using it reboot their PC after installation. The readme file doesn't say to, but my machine locked up. So I was forced to turn off the power to regain control; the three fingered salute (ctl-alt-delete) wouldn't work.

However, it is worth downloading just to see Ross' drawings [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update