Default November's Guest Tutorial Video: Making Watery Text

Okay, okay, it's up and live now!

Making Watery Text, a BBC exclusive presentation

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	here-here.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	104795

See how Frances takes seamless tiles she designed and put editable text on the tiles, that look like someone carefully spilled water on stone, wood, and so on, to spell out words. And you can change the lettering to say anything you like at any time, because this optical illusion Frances came up with uses editable text.

Oh, just watch it, okay Name:  interrobang.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  3.9 KB

...and then come back here, and let's discuss how we can make other things wet...

—g
    Last edited by Gare; 19 November 2014 at 11:07 PM. Reason: I made mistakes, but my text was edible...

Default Re: November's Guest Tutorial Video: Making Watery Text

Wonderful tutorial, Frances!!! Thanks too, Gare.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

It's Frances' tutorial, Maya. All I did was put some Turtle Wax on it here and there and buff it a little in places.

Oh, by the way, the bluejays have decided to stay in our back yard even though we got some dusting for the past week and temps in the 20s, Fahrenheit. Not a nice Autumn, unfair, unfair! And because the seasons were so screwed up, we didn't have as many berries and seeds anywhere in Central NY, so when I put out peanuts, it's not extra food, not really. They're coming here for dinner, not a snack.

Beautiful birds, breathtaking to watch them land. Their cries are awesome, and when I don't put out peanuts in the morning, I'm doing dishes in the kitchen, and they fly up to the nearby deck, screech and give me dirty looks.

Frances, we had a hard time advertising the tutorial, because we were stuck with the words "stone" and "wet", which beg puns of the Laugh-In double-entendre type. I hope we weren't too offensive in the copywriting. Just a little offensive, okay?

Thanks!

Gary

My goodness!

I think I've used most tools and options.

But... I've never used the 'Apply Soft Group' option.
    How brilliant is that?!
    What a great option.

Thanks, indeed, Frances.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    It's Frances' tutorial, Maya. All I did was put some Turtle Wax on it here and there and buff it a little in places.

Oh, by the way, the bluejays have decided to stay in our back yard even though we got some dusting for the past week and temps in the 20s, Fahrenheit. Not a nice Autumn, unfair, unfair! And because the seasons were so screwed up, we didn't have as many berries and seeds anywhere in Central NY, so when I put out peanuts, it's not extra food, not really. They're coming here for dinner, not a snack.

Beautiful birds, breathtaking to watch them land. Their cries are awesome, and when I don't put out peanuts in the morning, I'm doing dishes in the kitchen, and they fly up to the nearby deck, screech and give me dirty looks.

Frances, we had a hard time advertising the tutorial, because we were stuck with the words "stone" and "wet", which beg puns of the Laugh-In double-entendre type. I hope we weren't too offensive in the copywriting. Just a little offensive, okay?

Thanks!

Gary
    It's an awesome tutorial, Frances!!!

Gare, I've been watching the reports of all the record-breaking snowfall around the country and I really feel for everyone and their struggles with it. The poor birds, too!!! There's just no way they can get to any food unless people put out seed and/or suet feeders...the poor little things. When Paul and I lived at Rosebanks, Staten Is. NY, while in the coast guard, there was a blizzard which socked us indoors and an ice storm on top of it --- brrrrrr! We had those beautiful bluejays and cardinals, plus starlings and crows all struggling to survive that winter. I even boiled pots of rice and added peanut butter to it and put out large quantities on plastic trash can lids over the snow so they could eat and they just fell on it and ate like crazy the warm rice mixture.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Let's take the BirdTalk private, okay, Maya? I'll PM you later.

People are going to start beginning to think Bluejays are part of Frances' tutorial.

My bad and O/T,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    People are going to start beginning to think Bluejays are part of Frances' tutorial. My bad and O/T,

Gary
    I wouldn't think that, nor do I think anyone who reads the tutorial would think so either, at least I hope not. I thought it a cute story Maya.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Sorry guys! You know me, I get sidetracked easily and I think being OT is my specialty!

I did goof around with the tutorial ideas and applied those to some of the stone tiles and created some dripping rivulets per the tute's method of offsets and transparencies, etc. We're getting loads of rain, so here's a little dreary bird graphic (also used the Zootype font for the bird and an Arts & Crafts font for the decoration on the stone).
    Thanks Frances for the stone tiles too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drearybirdy.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	104807  
    -Mark Twain

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I'm glad that the tutorial was useful It makes use of the soft group feature in an interesting way. Soft grouping is a Web design feature primarily designed for creating Web buttons so this shows a web design feature that adds something useful to the illustration side of things!

Maya I really like that, it's great to see both the tutorial and the tiles are sparking wonderful ideas!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Pardon me I should have said Back on topic. OK now back to the topic.
    @Frances, I think that is a great tutorial thank you so much. I am going to do it now. Hopefully I can do it justice, don't know but I'll try.
    Maya that looks good.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.