Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Two questions

Default Two questions

1. Can anyone give me an opinion of Xara vs. Adobe Illustrator.

2. Where do I buy the Xara software.

Default Re: Two questions

Xara is much easier to learn.

Download the 30 day trial from http://www.xara.com and give it a go. If you need help ask here.
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

I have both programs, and tend to only use Xara, because its both easier and faster. Xara is much more intuitive to use, with most Adobe products unless you know where all the tools are and each tools settings, you have to hunt for them which is very unintuitive. Speed matters most in my use of vector work - I don't have time to hunt for the right settings for every tool. Illustrator has more tools so it can do more things, but its very complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Farrelly View Post
    Xara is much easier to learn.

Download the 30 day trial from http://www.xara.com and give it a go. If you need help ask here.
    How about Inkscape.

How about Inkscape.
    Suck it and see would be my answer
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Inkscape handles bevels very poorly, as it is converts from vector to bitmap format and cannot be changed back or altered once done - and its poorly done in the first place. Also Inkscape cannot do fractal transparency with color or image fills like Xara can, and many other discrepancies. I find Inkscape very clunky to use. Xara far surpasses Inkscape in capability and ease of use.

I would go with Egg's suggestion try them and see. You come to a Xara site you are going to expect nearly everyone here to say Xara! I use it as well. Really not a sensible question here. Illy, Inkscape and DrawPLus have all got good bezier pen tools which Xara has not and if you download the trial for our latest version you will have a real struggle to find xara's poor imitation of that tool. Bar that the learning curve for Xara is short when you compare it to Illy and others. Now Woodpecker I don't know you background and what you will use any of these programmes for because all programmes have +'s and -'s and normally any pro user will have at least 2 vector programmes on their H/drive. They will have to know how to use the major features of each programme and use them quickly with accuracy as well. You will then know when to use each programme when the time comes whither it will be for print or web as I stated before each programme has their pluses and minuses. Download a copy of each programme, one at a time, do a few tutorials which are relevant to the types of jobs that you are planning to use the software for and take some notes as you do the work then make our own comparison.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks to all for your input. I am new to this field, my goal is to do illustrations and animation, so this information is very useful in selecting the right software.

OK, I got Xara Photo & Graphic Designer version 7, would this be good to start with.

Yes I think it would. Version 7 does not have some of the new tools but in my opinion you can do most anything. If you need help just holler and there is always someone willing to help.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.