Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default AutoCad Files Corrupted

I need to recover my autocad files. Every time I try to open a .dwg file it says "drawing file is not valid".

I tried to open the .bak, but it having the same problem.
    IP

Default Re: AutoCad Files Corrupted

Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.
    IP

How to recover .dwg file, how to open problem autocad files and some other issues you can find at:- http://www.filerepairforum.com/forum...ing-dwg-format

If still the drawing persists with problems, continue on to the next set of steps. These can be done in any order, but have been listed in the order that Autodesk recommends makes the most sense. The file can be checked after each step. If things appear back to normal, there is no need to continue on to the rest of the steps.
    Open a blank DWG and type RECOVER at the command line. Browse to the problematic file to allow AutoCAD a chance to restore the file.
    Type OVERKILL at the command line, and select all objects. Check or uncheck properties to include or ignore, then click OK.
    Type DELCON at the command line, and select all objects.
    Type BREP and select all objects (if there are solids or surfaces in the file)
    Type -SCALELISTEDIT, then "R" for reset, then "Y" for yes.
    Type FILTERS, then click on the 'delete filters' button.

Try using a different version of AutoCAD to open the drawing, such as AutoCAD 2013 vs. AutoCAD 2015 or plain AutoCAD vs. AutoCAD Architecture, etc. Try different computers if available.

Open a blank DWG, and try to attach the problematic file as an XREF. If it allows you to attach the file, try next to BIND it to the current file. If that works, run the repair steps listed above.
    Use the SAVEAS command to save the DWG in an older file format. Attempt to open the newly created file.
    Export the file to DXF format using the DXFOUT command. Next, open a blan DWG and use the DXFIN command to import the file just created.
    Restore the Layout tabs:
    Right-Click one of the default layout tabs
    Select 'From Template...'
    Open the original file
    Choose the layout tabs to restore. (It is recommended to do this one tab at a time, in case one or more layout tabs are corrupted)
    Move drawing objects between model and paper space. You may find that only one drawing space is usable in your file, although your main concern is model space:
    Create a new layout and if need be, create a viewport.
    Use CHSPACE to move all the geometry to paper space.
    Create a new drawing and use the Design Center (ADC) to move the layout from the damaged file into it.
    Use CHSPACE again to move the geometry back to model space.

Restore the original layouts from the bad file using the Design Center.

Dissect the drawing. In a copy of the file, conduct a process of elimination using QSELECT to select different object types and then delete them to see if that fixes what is wrong in the file. Do PURGE All after each deletion. Eventually you should remove the problem elements and then you can choose to leave them out, copy them in again from another file, recreate them, or further troubleshoot individual items to pinpoint exactly which one is problematic. A quick start to this whole process is to delete everything in the drawing and then test it. This will quickly tell you if the issue is with a drawing object or if it is a part of the drawing database.

You also may refer to paid software DWG Viewer Tool

Source: http://www.dwg.viewertool.com/
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by cormierthib View Post
    Every time I try to open a .dwg file it says "drawing file is not valid".
    That's usually a sign that the dwg file was last saved in a newer format i.e. trying to open a 2012 file in 2004

Get the latest DWG True View from the Autodesk site. It has DWG Convert built into it. It allows backward compatible conversions. -David
    IP

Default the autoCAD DWG file. how to restore the drawing?

I had a problem. During the work to the drawing there was a program failure. I was looking for an auto save file with the extension .sv$. HE found, but I can't rename it in .dwg . Was the file for example NEW.sv$, and then became NEW.dwg.sv$
    What to do? I have АutoCAD 2002
    Please help!
    IP

Default Re: the autoCAD DWG file. how to restore the drawing?

Read post #4 in this thread http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...iles-Corrupted
    hope that helps.
    IP

Default Re: the autoCAD DWG file. how to restore the drawing?

1) Try to go to the «Tools» menu - choose "folder options" - View " and clean a tick "to hide the registered types of files". And everything will work!

2) see if the following article would help:

https://getsatisfaction.com/autocad3...ning-dwg-files
    IP

Default Can't open or reference dwg files

My colleague with a similar installation as mine cannot open or reference dwg files in SS2. The error message is "The *.dwg is not in a recognized file format.". However, I can open and reference the file, and it can be opened in earlier versions of Microstation. What should we look for to solve this?
    IP

Default Re: Can't open or reference dwg files

Welcome to TalkGraphis. What is ss2? What kind of file is he trying to open? If it is a xar file and he does not have that it will not be recognized. Any of the other file formats such as png, gif, or bmp should.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.
    IP

Default can't open dwg files

hi all,

I cant open .dwg files on my Autocad 2015, it gives me the error message: "The *.dwg is not in a recognized file format.".

Probably I have to use another version of Autocad!?

What should I look for to solve this?

Many thanks in advance!
    IP