Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thumbs down Bug report: Editing and saving a PDF results in unreadable file

Steps:
    1. Right click PDF in Explorer, and open it with Xara Designer Pro X10.
    2. Edit PDF.
    3. Save it (Ctrl-s).
    4. Try to open it in Foxit Reader. I get: "Format Error: Not a PDF or corrupted."

With Xara the PDF can still be opened, possibly because it has been saved as a Xara file.

A workaround is exporting to PDF, but that's a bit cumbersome. Simply being able to save using Ctrl-s would be great. With JPEG images, for example, saving directly works fine.

I reported the bug to support.xara.com as ticket #QYJ-380-51374.

Default Re: Bug report: Editing and saving a PDF results in unreadable file

It's not a bug. It is a .xar file.

Wanting to save (or even a save as) to a PDF directly would be a suggestion. Which functionally is no different that export to PDF.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    It's not a bug. It is a .xar file.
    Then it should be with .xar extension.

When I edit a JPEG and save that from Xara, then it gets saved as a JPEG. That being said, I understand that PDFs are possibly much harder to save automatically. There are many options affecting size and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by feklee View Post
    Then it should be with .xar extension...
    I see what you are on about now. Sorry.

I have never opened a PDF in XDP in that manner. I have used drag and drop, which results in an unnamed file. So any attempt at a save results in the XAR extension being added.

Yes, when a right-click, Open With action is performed, the result is XDP keeps the PDF extension during the save operation. Until such time as Xara corrects this (if ever), I would suggest either using drag and drop from explorer, or, if using the Open With command from Explorer, immediately do a Save As and make sure the extension is removed.

This thread should be moved into the Dear Xara section.

As per Mike's suggestion, this thread has been moved to Dear Xara which is more appropriate for feature requests and bug reports.