Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Links to & from anchors not working

My first few attempts at making page directories with anchors worked with no issues but there always has to be one, doesn't there? This one has me scratching my head.

I've gone through the page, naming all my anchors and placing my return links then I created all the links to the anchors just like I did on other pages. But when I save the page & view it either in preview or after I've uploaded it to the site, none of the links work or even react as a link should. By that I mean the links are underlined as they should be but the pointer never converts over to the usual finger.

So I went back through the XAR file and to my surprise all my links are gone in Web Properties! I reassigned a couple and all looked fine when I applied them but when I select the link, the Web Properties field is blank again.

Here is a link to the live page.
    http://ns.villageofsloan.org/_code2.htm

As you can see if you go to the Treasurer page, the links work fine.

I attached the XAR file so perhaps y'all can shed some light on this behavior....
    index.xar

BTW, I fixed the typo in the announcement that states the times that the Code Enforcement Officer is available....

Thanks!
    Last edited by unfaithfulsfan; 05 November 2014 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Formatting error

Default Re: Links to & from anchors not working

I've not checked you site fully but you have confused yourself in the NavBar.
    There, your links are to the live site. Until you publish, you will never see the changes you've been making.

All site links, anchors and NavBars should be set to go to the local page or anchor. The Village of Sloan links are to local Pages, which is correct; the ones to Village Life are not.

I would lose the underscore prefix on all you pages. They add nothing and make people typing the URL make mistakes.
    i would rename your index.xar to Sloan.xar as "index" is not a meaningful descriptor and when you come to start a new Site, you might name it index as well and lose all your Sloan work.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for the advice & I apologize for not stating my issue more clearly. The navigation to the different sections & pages of the site via the NavBar works fine.

The issue I am having is that the Code Enforcement page to which I linked in my original post (http://ns.villageofsloan.org/_code2.htm) is a very long page. To make finding a specific topic easier, I made an alphabetical listing of the topics contained on that page. As on the Treasurer page which I also referenced as an example, under the "Quick Links" heading, you can click on one of the topics/links, for example, "Handicapped Tags" & you're taken to that section of the page. Once you're ready, you can click <Top of Page> and be returned to the top of the page.

That is not happening on the Code Enforcement page to which I linked in my post. I have completely re-done the anchors (Names) & the links and I've published & republished & republished again, refreshing the page in the browser(s) each time, all with the same result: All the text links on the page work but the links under the heading "Quick Links" are not working. When the mouse pointer passes/hovers over any of the links the pointer remains an arrow instead of the usual finger indicating a hyperlink.

The root of the problem appears to be that whenever I link to the anchor in Web Properties (ex. "Demolition" linked to Anchor/Name "Demo") it appears to apply but when I select "Demolition" again the Anchor field in Web Properties is blank. It does not seem to matter that I've restarted the program and have completely shut down my PC and did a hard boot.

I do not understand why this is happening nor have I been able to figure out how to fix it. Hope this explanation makes the issue a little clearer.

Thanks,
    Jack

You've turned the Quick Links into an image.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Don't know how I managed to do that exactly but thanks for pointing out my goof.