Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Web Designer 10 Premium - Facebook Widget Problem

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Can you post the code you are using here so we can have a look at it and see if it works for us?
    <div id="fb-root"></div>
    <script>(function(d, s, id) {
    var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];
    if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
    js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
    js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_GB/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.0";
    fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
    }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>

<div class="fb-like" data-href="https://developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins/" data-width="301" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true"></div>

I Have left the https alone with the code they provided

Steve

Can you post the code you are using here so we can have a look at it and see if it works for us?
    <div id="fb-root"></div>
    <script>(function(d, s, id) {
    var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];
    if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
    js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
    js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_GB/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.0";
    fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
    }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>

<div class="fb-like" data-href="https://developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins/" data-width="301" data-layout="standard" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true"></div>

I have left the data on the facebook screen exactly as is except for the 301 data width

Steve Sorry didn't realise There was a second page so I submitted again ....oops

This is what I see when I preview your code and the larger dialog is when I hit Share.

I'm not sure but I wonder if it is not using your site information? This script does not seem complete because I think there should be a reference to your site.

I published a page with the script and I get the same thing as in my screen capture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fb.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	104570  

OK. I got it. The URL in the second part of the script needs to be the URL for your website. The current URL is the developers page.

In the attached screensho I replaced the URL with my website and this is what I get www.gwpriester.com/fb-test
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	URL.png 
Views:	271 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	104571  

OK. I got it. The URL in the second part of the script needs to be the URL for your website. The current URL is the developers page.

In the attached screensho I replaced the URL with my website and this is what I get www.gwpriester.com/fb-test
    Hi,
    Yes I can see your page and the links are clickable......... I went and changed the url as you had done to mine and I know get the like and share icons with the text Be the first of your friends to like this ( which seems to be correct ish there should be 3 likes if I remember correctly) so I went back and deleted the placeholder rectangle which includes the facebook plugin, and started again.

I selected the rectangle tool and created a rectangle is was grey so I altered the fill colour to white, also the edge colour to white, I then dragged and dropped the facebook plugin onto that triangle. On the subsequent facebook page I selected web Like and changed the https to http://www.whcc.co.uk added the width and clicked get code.
    I copied both sets of code to notepad and then cancelled the facebook plugin.
    Back in Xara I selected the arrow tool and clicked on the rectangle I took web properties and selected the Placeholder tab, i then added the code into the body and head sections and ticked the box underneath and saved.
    I then saved my web page and published.
    I use Firefox as a web browser, I deleted the Cached web content and reloaded the current image.

I now need to find a quiet place and a brick wall, I http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/s...nghead.gifneed to hit this brick wall with my head as nothing is happening the items are not clickable.

On the right of Xara is the Page and Layer gallery, after selecting the Front page and going to Page background, turning off the red padlock The HTML Placeholder is at the top and when yo select that items the corresponding rectangle in my web page show the 8 square markers for resizing and a small black square inside as the placeholder for the facebook widget plugin if I select the facebook plugin I get a Widget: Edit box appears, this on other widgets usually take you back to the widget creation page of that particular widget, this one does not it goes to the Xara web properties page.

I am doing something wrong and I cant see what

Steve

Hi
    Having now got a bloodied head and no hair I again removed all the placehoder details and went to the Design gallery and dragged and dropped the facebook widget without creating a rectangle 1st.
    Xara created a placeholder and gave me the Facebook set up screens, I did exactly what you said and changed the web address to my web site and copied both pieces of code to notepad, then highlighted both and clicked insert from the facebook page. I then published it.
    Nothing still the same ...except i saw that the white background had disappeared and at the very top left hand side were two almost invisible icon _ the Facebook icons and they are clickable!!!!!!......(go see my web site).....but i still have the face book like and share at the bottom of the page - not clickable.
    The Xara page as it is now shows me the white background and I cannot see the two icons at the top - whats happened I don't know.
    with a big headache now
    Steve

Which browser are you using?

My browser of choice is Chrome, but some Facebook widgets don't display, but work fine in IE.

Quote Originally Posted by iannicholson View Post
    Which browser are you using?

My browser of choice is Chrome, but some Facebook widgets don't display, but work fine in IE.
    Firefox

Its not the case of displaying it in a browser I cannot get the plugin to work in Xara.

Steve

I have a feeling that Facebook changed the way their embed code works since the Xara widget was last updated.

You are probably better off going to the Facebook site, creating the code there and then pasting that into a placeholder.

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins/

Quote Originally Posted by iannicholson View Post
    I have a feeling that Facebook changed the way their embed code works since the Xara widget was last updated.

You are probably better off going to the Facebook site, creating the code there and then pasting that into a placeholder.

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins/
    Hi,
    Thanks.
    After much gnashing of teeth I have been able to remove those two small facebook items from the top left hand corner and I went back onto the facebook widget pages and copied their code and inserted it.
    When I do a preview of that page within Xara hey presto I have clickable widgets........Not to fast........when I upload those pages to my ISP and viewing through Firefox/IE they are not clickable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve