Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Web Designer 10 Premium - Facebook Widget Problem

Hi,
    Not having used the Facebook or other Social Networking widgets before, I thought it may enhance my web page by doing so.
    So I dragged and dropped onto my web page, filled out the Facebook details and clicked get code, was offered two separate pieces of code so I used Ctrl C on the 1st piece of code and pasted it into Notepad, I did the same with the 2nd piece of code. I then copied all the code in Notepad and selected insert from the facebook page. It seemed to work ish. Was not happy - so I deleted it all and went searching for some answers and came up with a How to insert a Facebook plugin into your web page in the Xara Knowledge base. So I followed all the instructions within the How to page and I now have a Facebook Like and Share buttons, - but they do not link to anything, I have published them to my web site and they are inactive.....
    Any please help to make them active.

Thanks

Steve Bishop

Default Re: Web Designer 10 Premium - Facebook Widget Problem

Steve, the first check is to ensure they are the topmost items on the page just in case the click are is hidden by an invisible object.

Can you advise your website page URL?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Steve, the first check is to ensure they are the topmost items on the page just in case the click are is hidden by an invisible object.

Can you advise your website page URL?

Acorn
    Hi Thanks,

My web site is whcc.co.uk

Steve

I can't click on them so in your design select them and press Ctrl+F and republish.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I can't click on them so in your design select them and press Ctrl+F and republish.

Acorn
    Hi,
    I did what you said and Xara said - The selected object is already at the front of it's layer, and I saved and republished.....It's still the same

Steve

When you edit the Facebook widget and copy the code to the clipboard, what happens if you press Insert?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    When you edit the Facebook widget and copy the code to the clipboard, what happens if you press Insert?
    Hi,
    If i copy both sets of code produced by the Facebook plugin to Notepad then copy them both together and use the insert button I get exactly the same result as on my web site (now) but if I look at the WebProperties of the Facebook insert with Xara Both sets of code ar placed into HTML code (body) of the placeholder tab. Nothing is placed in the HTML code (head). I thought this wrong when I 1st did it as the Facebook code generator states where each should go, when I 1st realised this, That is why I went in search of the How to insert Help screen within the Xara FAQ's. I followed those instructions and I still do not get a clickable link?
    The only difference between the two methods I have found is thet the 1st method using copy and insert, when I click the placeholder I get a edit link pop up and it takes me back to the Original Facebook code creation page, the 2nd method just brings up the Xara Web properties page>

Steve

Are you using an actual placeholder? In other words, a placeholder is an object, usually a rectangle, and you use this to add the two scripts in the appropriate area(s) (BODY or HEAD). Select the rectangle, then go to the Placeholder tab, press the appropriate button and add your code.

When you publish or preview your site, this information is added to the HTML document. The placeholder itself becomes invisible on publish.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Are you using an actual placeholder? In other words, a placeholder is an object, usually a rectangle, and you use this to add the two scripts in the appropriate area(s) (BODY or HEAD). Select the rectangle, then go to the Placeholder tab, press the appropriate button and add your code.

When you publish or preview your site, this information is added to the HTML document. The placeholder itself becomes invisible on publish.
    Hi,
    I have created a rectangle using the side bar shapes, I have dragged and dropped the facebook plugin onto that rectangle. The Plugin page for Facebook opens and I select Social Plugins - Like Button (web) , on the next screen I have changed the URL to Like to My webpage
    https://www.whcc.co.uk - Width I put 460 left Layout as Standard and Action Type as Like. Nothing still happens.
    Ok, what if I leave the Facebook screen alone and do not alter anything, I did just that just now and the resulting Facebook icon changed from
    Be the first etc to You have 1,023,727 others like this.........I do not think that is right either, If I get 10 visits a month to my web site I think I'm doing well, so to have over a million facebook likes is idiotic, right?
    After putting the correct code in the correct box in the Placeholder tab of the Web Properties in Xara ----- still nothing!!!!!!

Steve

Can you post the code you are using here so we can have a look at it and see if it works for us?