Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Drop Cap Novemberr 2014

November's gained a 2nd R

N says Negative to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n-negative.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	104605  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Nice one Egg...did you use a real negative or did you draw this one? I was hoping to find a hidden treasure when I zoomed into the N. Is it a different season in Novemberr'? Thus creating a cold edge to the N?

That's great Egg. It looks like a real negative. If you don't mind small criticism. Tihe N is hard to see, so couldn't it be lighter without destroying the negative effect? Just wondering.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Veeness/Larry,

Thanks for the comments. I did a search on Google for Negative images and there were only a few re film negatives. The one I chose had ducks. I did some photo healing to remove most of the visible ducks, just wanting an undestingishable negative background (I had previously tried to recreate it using fractal fills but couldn't get the desired effect). The remainder of the image, sprocket holes, text numbers and the "N" are vector.

As for your point Larry, maybe. I just used the colour picker to select the whitest part of the original bitmap. Negatives, now a thing of the past, were never easy things to fathom But I take your point, it would be difficult to use as a real Drop Cap.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks for your understanding Egg. You did a wonderful job on the negative but as you say not usable as a drop cap. Though it could be by lightening the N without destroying the negative effect.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hi All,

I haven't posted here in years but I stopped by and saw this challenge and it look like a lot of fun, so I thought I'd give it a try. Not sure what the image size rules are but I hope this is OK. I reduced it in size a great deal. I made the image in ArtRage 4.5. The N is made with a something called a sticker that I created. I also created the tile with the ArtRage Symmetry tool.

Attachment 104651
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N for November 5.png 
Views:	173 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	104652  
    Last edited by Aunt Betsy; 11 November 2014 at 11:30 AM.
    Aunt Betsy

Glad you joined in Aunt Betsy. You did very well and I like it. There are no size limitations in this challenge.

@ ALL Drop caps can be any size, but the best practices seem to be where the top of the first letter of the first word lines up with the top of the first sentence and drops down two or more lines and replaces The first letter of the first word. So with this in mind they should be designed so they look good even at a small size. Sort of icon size. If they look good small then great. Bob (If I recall correctly) showed where it could take up almost a whole page, but that isn't normal today and I personally find that overkill. I often see them the as a decorative element at the beginning of a story (mostly faerie tales) but they can be used anywhere.

INITIAL CAPITALS have historical roots in the early days of book design; their use predates the printing press and the invention of moveable type. Today’s initial caps are not as fancy as those carefully rendered in gold leaf in ancient scriptorium, but their association with classic book design remains strong. Initial Capital letters are often referred to generically as “drop caps” though a drop capital is actually a specific style of Initial Cap.

Some modernists discourage the use of initial caps, citing a host of typographical probems, but “Once upon a time” just wouldn’t be the same with*out a great big letter “O” at the beginning. Though not appropriate for every book, initial caps announce the beginning of a chapter with classical style. They suggest that the text you are about to read transcends mere data; this is literature.

Most of this information was gathered from various places on the web and as far as I can tell it is accurate.

Here are a few examples I found on the web. As you can see most of these are fairly large.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62qj3.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	104661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop-caps-initials-2.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	104662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Book design basics.png 
Views:	167 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	104663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	104664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UseDropCap.png 
Views:	165 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	104670Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6a00e5535ff83b8833017d3d174ef5970c.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	104668Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OTQki.png 
Views:	161 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	104669
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Nice one Betty)) just in time for christmas

"last minute" for drop cap of november

The N of "piano keys " project

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop cap nov 14_1.png 
Views:	164 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	104946 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop cap nov 14.png 
Views:	173 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	104947

Max

Nice