Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Blending Modes?

I am trying to create a realistic image of a fish swimming in a bottle of beer, but I am unsure of which bending mode to use. Can anyone give any suggestions? Thanks
    IP

I am trying to create a realistic image of a fish swimming in a bottle of beer, but I am unsure of which bending mode to use. Can anyone give any suggestions? Thanks
    IP

Hi chip,

First i would do this:

Select the fish, and click on the bottle of beer layer to activate it. Then press Ctrl/Cmd+J. Move this copy of the beer (in the shape of the fish) above the fish layer. Now set this layer to either Overlay/Hardlight/Softlight/Multiply. Try them all, and choose the one you like best.

It might be a good idea too to actually increase the selection size by 2-3 pixels, and clip the berr copy layer to the fish layer -- to prevent any funky looking edges around the fish.

The reason i suggest this method is that the effect can be quite different than just setting the fish image to be semi-transparent. The highlights/shadows/reflection in the bottle & beer will look better if the beer is really in front of the fish.

Try that and see how it works for ya.

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"
    IP

Great. Thanks for your help
    IP