Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Opening a corrupted Illustrator .ai file

I have an Illustrator CS2 file, that has been working on for the last month, that is now telling me unknown error has occured.

I can see the thumbnail but when I try opening it, it gets about half way through the Reading Illustrator File and then gives me the error message.

We would really like to get this file open and not lose a months worth of work. Please Help!
    IP

Default Re: Opening a corrupted Illustrator .ai file

Zip it and attach it to a post and I'll see if it can be repaired.

Would now be a good time to mention that in the future you should be saving incremental versions as you work in any application and back those up?
    IP

Default Re: Opening a corrupted Illustrator .ai file

Following item has absolutely free database, contains quite a lot of good solutions:

http://www.filerepairforum.com/forum...gent-help-need

Also next advice must be helpful:

No warranties but adobe programs like Photoshop and Illustrator create temporary files ending in " .tmp " for example photoshop files would be: ~PST#####.tmp in Windows; or Temp##### in Mac.... (### is series of numbers)

Those files are temporarily stored in the hard drive and deleted once you save the file or close the program BUT if the program or computer crashes sometime they stay (stealing space from the hard drive so eventually you need to delete them manually; I know since last year I found I had lost many Gbs of disk space and I didn't know why).

So look for (.tmp files), if you finf the file you are supposed to be able to open it... BUT there are no warranties, if the file got deleted or corrupted then you are out of luck.

In Windows the files are usually in: C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\Temp. (%USERNAME% is "YOUR" username)

Also the files could be a "hidden file" you you might need to set to folders to show all "hidden files"
    IP