Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default CTRL- F Find is still usability flawed

Does nobody at Xara understand the principle of Workflow? Ever since the ability to CTRL-F text in a Xara document people have been asking for the Find dialog to take the focus on hitting CTRL-F so that, without taking your eyes off the keyboard, you can:
    1. hit CTRL-F
    2. type the sought-after word or phrase and hit Return

I did that just now, forgetting that Xara doesn't believe in following conventions and I ended up over-typing into my document what I though I was typing into the Find field. You then, of course, have the infuriating job of hitting Undo nn number of times...

And whilst we're on the subject of immense frustration, when I drag and drop a high-resolution photo into a document, I want Xara to do nothing, NOTHING, including messing with my zoom settings. And yet what do I have to do to get this stupid, stupid thing to STOP trying to advise me against my will to downgrade, downsize, reset my zoom??? Please, just give us professionals the option to switch OFF this really, really, really annoying feature! If I drag a 14Mb photo into a web document there is probably a very good reason why I am doing so, so let me switch off this feature because not only do I not need it, I find it IMMENSELY annoying.

Using X10 10.1.3.35257 in the dream that X10 10.1.3.35258 contains the fix, but knowing full well that it doesn't.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Default Re: CTRL- F Find is still usability flawed

I think Xara was using Ctrl F (Control Frank) to bring selections to the front long before it was used as Find.

On the other hand, they changed the behavior of F5 which used toggle the fill tool to Preview page in browser (I think) and Ctrl D to remove a mask. So it is not inconceivable that they could change the behavior for Ctrl F and make it toggle the Find/Replace dialog.

For your second question, have you tried the setting shown in my attachment?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	import.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	104396  

some registry fixes frank, all in options/filters

changes:

zoomtofitonimport set to 0 will stop the program from altering the zoom when you place bitmap

optimisejpegfrompng to 0 will stop it asking about optimising

importsize set to 10000 will stop it saying the bitmap would be better imported as a jpeg up to the limit you set in pixels [mine is set 10000 pixels - the default is 1920 if i recall correctly]

I haven't tested this beyond ver8 but I reckon they will be the same...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I think Xara was using Ctrl F (Control Frank) to bring selections to the front long before it was used as Find.
    Yes, I think the rest of the world was already using it back then for Find.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    For your second question, have you tried the setting shown in my attachment?
    Yes, sure, but Xara still zooms you out. Try it and see. If you could then just hit ESC to zoom back to where you were that'd be a solution although still an annoying step but you have to arse around to get back to where you were. I didn't ask to be zoomed out but Xara does it anyway, assuming I want it and need it. It has good reasons for doing so for certain users, but doing so when you neither want it or need it makes this an annoying and useless feature.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

the first registry fix I posted will stop that frank..

incidentally xara's response to the zoom issue is that you can go back to the previous zoom position by using the 'previous zoom' button - quite apart from the unnecessary click this takes no account of those who are already working with two zoom levels and toggling between them as part of the workflow...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...