Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

WD6 Nofollow request for future WD versions

I know that this has been talked about before on the forums, but we really need to add "Nofollow" capabilities build into WD. Not just the abilities to add a "nofollow" to an entire page, but to text links as well as to image links. As far as I see, this isn't currently possible.

With the sites that I have developed, more and more customers are concerned about search engine placement. I know that quality links are only a small part of SEO, but Google has outlined that it is an important part of their page ranking process.

Thanks

Default Re: Nofollow request for future WD versions

How do you see this being implemented?

I would think that you would have an option to add a "nofollow" in the "web page properties", under the "Link" section.

I read the nofollow guidance on google and mostly it's about links going outside your site rather than links within a site.

In principle it's about stopping Google associating your site with (dodgy, in Google terms) sites that you refer (link) to.

Right. But it's also about "Relative Content". Google looks at the "value" of your outgoing links.
    The "nofollow" addition to Web Designer would help your page ranking by telling Googlebot not to follow the link to a website that is not related to your site. A non-related site would not have the same kind of content that you have on yours. For example. I have a customer who owns a haunted attraction. Pepsi is one of his sponsors that financially support his business. In turn, Pepsi requires him to put a banner ad on his home page linking to their home page. The kind of business Pepsi is in, is not related at all to the Haunted Attractions industry. This hurts his page ranking. And I can't put a "nofollow" for the entire page like you can in the Meta Tags, because he has other sponsors who are in the Haunt Industry that he links to that ARE relevant to his content, which helps his page ranking.

This is Google's take on Nofollow. It may have been what you saw. But it's not just to keep Googlebot from following links to things like "shady" or "paid content". I just think that we need to have the same kind of opportunities that other designers have who use other software. I don't want to have to tell my customers that their SEO is limited to the software that I use is all.

https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/96569?hl=en

Thanks for your input.

I said dodgy, in Google terms , which is as you describe.

Search engines do not follow javascript links so put javascript:window.open('http://www.website.com'',"_self"); or javascript:window.open('http://www.website.com'',"_target"); in your Link > link to Web or Email address field.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Your right. Very good idea. I fail at javascript.
    But it would still be a good feature.