Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Break points in master page or template?

Can break points be set up in master pages or templates?
    Or must they be defined on each page?

Thanks Again - Donald

Default Re: Break points in master page or template?

Donald, what do you understand by "break points"?
    Might you be referring to Placeholders?

Xara doesn't have a master page as such.

Any object can be repeated on all pages: Arrange > Repeat on all pages.

Any Xara file can be saved as a template: File > Save Template...

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The breakpoint value is set in the registry and affects all pages in one document upon export.

Also, they affect all pages individually. For example if you have 1 page 800px wide, and another 1000px wide, the breakpoint will be 50% (by default) between the individual page size and the mobile page size. We recommend keeping all pages the same width though.

Breakpoint value is set here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\HTMLFilter\7.0\Mul tiWidthBreakpoint

If you change it, you will need to re-export your website for it to take effect.

Acorn - breakpoints are explained here under "How does Xara determine the point at which each variant is shown?": http://support.xara.com/index.php?/K...ive-web-design

Thanks
    Rob

Rob, if only I have searched the entire Knowledge for "breakpoint" then I would have found all of two entries each with the word. I read it and was none the wiser.
    http://support.xara.com/index.php?/K...-variant-sites didn't add much.

Having read both articles, I still can't answer the OP's question.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The article requires a modicum of algebra to work out that the Mobile Variant width was 480 pt.

"We strongly recommend keeping the page width constant in each variant. Changing the page width on one page will cause the mobile variant to display at a different width than expected, as the 50% breakpoint is per page and not a specific value. If you change the width of a page from 770px to 1260px, then the mobile variant will show at 870px instead of 625px, because that is the 50% mark between the two sizes. Keeping a uniform page size is good web design practice as well."

The concept of a breakpoint setting of 50% where page widths can be variable is wrong-hatted.
    It should be more closely fixed to the smaller width.

Acorn

Thanks Acorn and Rob!

Wow, I must have just ate at taco bell, because I'm way out of the box now.

Sorry, I should have used variants instead of bps, I'll try again.

Can a variant (defined page width) be used with the "repeat on all pages" function?

Can a page with footer/header, a menu, containers for objects/images and variants (defined page widths) be saved as a template? Could it be recalled to edit that would make changes to a website globally?

Hence; not have to assign variants to each page one at a time.

Sorry about my lack of knowledge with XWD, thanks for your patience.

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Rob, if only I have searched the entire Knowledge for "breakpoint" then I would have found all of two entries each with the word. I read it and was none the wiser.
    http://support.xara.com/index.php?/K...-variant-sites didn't add much.

Having read both articles, I still can't answer the OP's question.

Acorn
    From the article incase you missed it in the FAQ:

If you have a mobile site with a 480px wide, and a main site of 920px wide, then between these two sites there is a point that is exactly 50% from each variant called the breakpoint. This breakpoint for this example would be at 700px for these two site sizes, because that is in the middle of these two variants. Your mobile variant will then show up to a screen size of 700px, and your main variant will then show from screen sizes 700px onwards, or until the next breakpoint which again, will be 50% between the main and the next variant (e.g. a widescreen version of your website).

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    The article requires a modicum of algebra to work out that the Mobile Variant width was 480 pt.

"We strongly recommend keeping the page width constant in each variant. Changing the page width on one page will cause the mobile variant to display at a different width than expected, as the 50% breakpoint is per page and not a specific value. If you change the width of a page from 770px to 1260px, then the mobile variant will show at 870px instead of 625px, because that is the 50% mark between the two sizes. Keeping a uniform page size is good web design practice as well."

The concept of a breakpoint setting of 50% where page widths can be variable is wrong-hatted.
    It should be more closely fixed to the smaller width.

Acorn
    I haven't had anyone complain before, Acorn.

Donald:

As above breakpoints is a value between variants at which you page will change from and to. BP's and variants are two different things

Repeat on all pages only works through the current variant you're on. If you wanted it to repeat on all variants, you will need to create copies in each variant and then repeat on all pages.

Yes, you could create a page with a variant, header and footer and then save it as a template, then edit it later. Variants are automatically added to each existing page when created though so you wouldn't need to create a template if that is the idea behind it.

Thanks
    Rob