Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default MeshMixer: Bolleans, Brush tools, OBJ export...FREE!

I was on AutoDesk's 123D site yesterday, looking to see the state-of-the-art printing, and they offered a direct download of something called MeshMixer, which I thought was one of their products, but it's developed by other people, and the darned thing is free.

It can import obj files and you can do some zBrush-like things in it, Boolean operations, some primitives to get you started, and it's completely free. They don't even email you friendy messages three times a week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MeshMixer-UI.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	104377

MeshMixer

The UI support and hints make it self-explanatory although they have PDF docs for the program. Here's waht I was able to do in about 15 minutes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mixMesh-example.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	104378

It doesn't have a rendering engine, so if you want final product for free, you might want to get a copy of LuxRender. I found it quite relaxing to build freeform objects. I already have programs that have all the features of MeshMixer, but that's not the point. It's just a tidy little parcel that can make organic 3D shapes that might be nice to sketch in Xara when you don't feel like toting a camera somewhere for resource images.

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: MeshMixer: Bolleans, Brush tools, OBJ export...FREE!

More goodies to play with....I'm going to check this out thanks))