Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: October 2014 Tips and Tricks - Big GIFs, Tiny Animations

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Then convert your Xara swf's to HTML5 files, these are then accessable on mobiles
    You'll find no disagreement with me on this issue, Eric. You know, we both should have included the link in our posts to Google Swiffy:

Upload your swfs and get an HTML and CSS equivalent of your animation for free.

We've come a long way here from GIF partial screen animations to Shockwave files on this thread!

Let's go back on topic soon?

Thanks!

Gary

@stygg— please forgive me for editing your post so the Shockwave file plays within your post and doesn't open another tab on most browsers. I thought as good animation should begin without fussing with links...I could be wrong if I did an unwanted thing here.

If anyone is interested in how to do this, let me know. This should be a FAQ on tg!

My Best,

Gary

Do you think that gif animation, will continue to survive, despite all the other options available?
    Not just survive, but get used?
    Web browsers play gif animations without any problems (as far as my experience goes).

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    @stygg— please forgive me for editing your post so the Shockwave file plays within your post and doesn't open another tab on most browsers. I thought as good animation should begin without fussing with links...I could be wrong if I did an unwanted thing here.

If anyone is interested in how to do this, let me know. This should be a FAQ on tg!
    It was me in the wrong Gary, I think my head was up my proverbial on Sunday as I mistook the Bouncing Ball file for a Gif and I had posted before I realized, one of those days It was still a good tut. though.

Stygg
    Last edited by Rik; 03 November 2014 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Tidied up the quote!

From what I read around the web Rik, Gifs are making a come back, why ? I don't know but as you say they always play well in Web browsers.

Stygg

Stygg, now that we've apoligized to each other (), yes, animated GIFs are making a comeback in a big way. I'm not sure of all the reasons, I'll list the more obvious ones to me, but that is why I did a written tutorial this month (last month, actually, who cares?) on big dimension GIFs that download fast...instead of thge seemingly more obvious Flash (SWF) animation type.

1.) When only part of a GIF posted animates, and you have the file setup for Overlay as a replacement method, you'll achieve a small file size because only the pixels that are replaced count, and a new frame doesn't consist of all new different colored pixels.

2.) Without fussing around with CSS and HTLM5's native animation capabilities—or going out to Google for a conversion that is not simple to place on a Xara Web page—GIF animations play on all web browser platforms, no fuss no muss. I still can't believe there is no mainstream program out yet with a UI that makes it intuitive to design an HTML-based animation. Let's put this on Xara Designer 11's wish list!

Abobe Edge makes this exact claim, but it's part of their Cloud service and you cannot download it as an app unless you subscribe to their $50/month "all you can eat" plan. Which seems creative-user-hostile, sophist, elitist and exclusive, and typical 1994 Adobe Attitude.

3.) The Millenium Generation is in adulthood now, and they see GIFs as a piece of computer nostalgia. They were perhaps 5 years old or such when GIFS predominated the web and dial-up was how you got to the Web.

Csehz had the idea. His Yoga GIF is the sort of thing you see in margins as ads on web pages.

My Best,

Gary

Thanks for that Gary. I've converted the Bouncing Ball swf to a Gif file, had to change the fills in the stars and balls and tweaks in the options dialogue to make the Gif presentable. I ended up with this Gif, size 480x320, 8 bit 64 colours, globalized optimized palette. It may not look as good as the swf file but presentable, I think I missed out moving a shadow.

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gif.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	104552   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ball ani..gif 
Views:	209 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	104553  

Last edited by stygg2003; 03 November 2014 at 04:26 PM.

Looks good Stygg. However the shadow of the more distant ball appears as large as the closer ones, or almost anyway. Seems to me like it should be no larger than the ball casting it, and perhaps a little more transparent. I guess in the interest of reality, wouldn't all the shadows get darker the closer the ball gets to them and more transparent as they get further away. I know this last bit is nit picking but the thought occurred to me.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Yes your right Larry, that shadow is the one I missed altering as I said in #37, will do a few alterations later.

Stygg

I've made a few alterations but if anyone as some more imput or alter the Gif, please do so, animation is not my strong point so all welcome but please remember this Gif is from the original swf bouncing ball so I've tried to leave it as Gary intended. We were asked to add something to the original and I did with the small ball and this seems to be the problem in the now Gif file.

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ball ani..gif 
Views:	196 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	104563