Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default What do you lot think

Adobe have released Photoshop 2 for free download. I'm not having any of it until I've asked around because I'm sure there's a catch in it somewhere or am I better off staying with what I'm already using?
    I'd be glad to give it a try and see how it goes but I want some thoughts on the matter first.

Default Re: What do you lot think

It's an ancient version.

It wasn't intended for public consumption, but for existing customers still using it on older operating systems. It escaped into the public view almost by accident.

You can probably expect issues using it with the latest version of windows.

Just as with any software, downloading it from any site other than the manufacturer might mean you get some extra spyware or a virus for free.

Quote Originally Posted by SCALEBACK666 View Post
    Adobe have released Photoshop 2 for free download. I'm not having any of it until I've asked around because I'm sure there's a catch in it somewhere or am I better off staying with what I'm already using?
    I'd be glad to give it a try and see how it goes but I want some thoughts on the matter first.
    The only catch is, that you're "supposed" to have already had a previously licensed version of it. Not sure what you're presently using, but it would be a good way to start using and learning Photoshop if you've never used it before. Also, not sure what OS you're using, but I do know that it will run under Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit. Good luck!

"The only catch is, that you're "supposed" to have already had a previously licensed version of it."

Can I use this I am not a user but used to be a few years ago.

For my part, I've avoided upgrading from my very old version of Photoshop 5.5 (long before CS), however, my recent freelance cartography commission for the strategy guide for Call of Duty, required the maps to be PSDs in the final format, and most of the people at the publisher I work with use Macs (I'm a PC guy) and several couldn't open the Xara created PSD files. This forced me to get the most current "cloud" version of Photoshop, so I could open the Xara created PSDs and saved back within PS to guarantee my files would open. So now I'm current regarding Photoshop. It was necessary for the professional work I do.

The free versions of the Adobe Suite are only available to download if you have an Adobe account. To have one of those you have had to buy one of their products.
    Design is thinking made visual.

M thoughts on my first proper go...
    It's good for an older version but it's basically the same as what I've already got (but with different art effects and tools). I'll keep it around as I can edit my photographs in PSP and XPGD and PS CS2,
    I only got it because I've heard about and what can be done with it and I have reasonably limited access to CS6 (free use for an hour in Manchester Central Librray's new media suite. But I somehowe prefer ILLUSTRATOR to PS for some reason.