Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Chiseled" Effect WITHOUT Using Fonts

I am still trying to decide whether to buy Designer Pro. Right now, l am still learning from the trial. I want to be able to chisel a design which is not a font into a background of my choice. I have scoured the web for tutorials showing me how to do this, but with zero results. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Default Re: "Chiseled" Effect WITHOUT Using Fonts

Create a shape, whether using rectangles, circles, ellipses, star shape or the free hand tool. Apply your color or photo-image fill. Then select the bevel tool (or Ctrl + F3), which applies the default flat bevel. Move the handles at the corners or side centers to adjust the "depth" of the bevel. Once the bevel is created, with the beveled shape still selected, select Chiseled 1 or Chiseled 2 bevel type from the bevel drop down menu to change the bevel type. That's it.

I use the bevel tool for non-text uses all the time with my cartography work, creating man-made structures, hills, mountains, valleys, cliffs, etc. Explore my Fantasy Maps Created Using Xara Xtreme thread in this forum to see many, many examples of using Xara bevels to create emulations of depth in a variety of maps used in the gaming industry.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 13 October 2014 at 08:19 AM.

Thank you kindly. I haven't had a chance to try your suggestions yet, but l will as soon as l get off the subway and into my apartment. I think you have provided exactly the information that l need.

Thanks again!

The trick with a bevel is to adjust the Light Angle. By default when you apply a bevel the light angle is set for left center. To give the impression of a recessed shape or text the light angle needs to be pointing downwards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rotated light angle.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	104269  

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

If you are wanting to chisel a design out of a background and easy way to do it freehand is to apply a bevel to your background as has been described here already and then use the eraser tool on the background and you can carve out your design.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

The trick with a bevel is to adjust the Light Angle. By default when you apply a bevel the light angle is set for left center. To give the impression of a recessed shape or text the light angle needs to be pointing downwards.
    Hi Gary - is this a 'solid' rule of thumb (and can I ask why please to understand more), or if your light source is from another angle, follow the light source for the shadow side/s?

I use the bevel tool for non-text uses all the time, creating hills, mountains, valleys, cliffs
    Do you have any basic snapshots of these please?

I just made an odd shaped triangle and kept driving the points inwards, allowing me to see the beginnings of a mountain.

@ Angelize
    use the eraser tool
    I began to apply the eraser to the bevelled mountain shape and began to get some potentially great effects running up the mountainside (the bevel), from cutting in at the bottom with the eraser. Thanks, would never have found/thought of trying.

Hi Gary - is this a 'solid' rule of thumb (and can I ask why please to understand more), or if your light source is from another angle, follow the light source for the shadow side/s?
    Probably more an observation. Light generally comes from overhead or from the side. So when you use this with a bevel, you provide a visual cue which logically seems to the viewer that the object is raised off the surface.

Thank you, makes perfect sense

(ps - not a single pm made yet!!)

Well, at least you can send one now, should the urge strike.

Never really been able to create a satisfactory chiselled effect. Bevels work so far but never seem to quite make the grade. I think the problem is I look to close at the chiselled effect at to large a zoom which is of course something you don't normally do.

Anyway here's my best effort so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chiselled-effect.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	105217  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host