Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Secure download page

I run a recording studio and have to send music files to clients reasonably often. I use Hightail which used to be YouSentIt but they have a 250Mb limit and the latest album I mixed is 374Mb. It also seems a little error prone, I have had quite a few occasions lately where the upload reaches 100% but then freezes. It occurred to me that I have unlimited web space with my web hosting so I thought maybe I could set up a new page just for sending files to clients.

It is simple to add a hidden download page that I could give the client a link to with no links or tab on the navigation bar.

I would like to upload encrypted files and email them a password to download the files. It is easy enough to zip and add a password using 7Zip and there are a million random password generators online.

I tried to drag and drop a file from my folder directly onto the newly created page but Web Designer gave me an error message, that bit is the stumbling block at the moment.

So how do I add a zipped folder onto a page for them to download?

Default Re: Secure download page

I use Hightail, but the $9.95 a month version which lets you send files up to 2GB. And you can password protect the download link.

This might be a better solution.

You can also use CoffeeCup Software Website Access Manager to password protect your website or specific folders on your site.

Some people create their own .htaccess files which is the free way to password protect a site or page but it requires more concentration and patience than I have.

Default Re: Secure download page

Another possibility that may be available to you depends on your hosting arrangement but many hosting companies use control panels. The hosting service of my choice uses cpanel and there is a simple option to set up Password Protected Directories (see attached image) See if the same or similar service is offered by your hosting company. Unless you know the username or password then access to this folder is denied. Just supply your client with the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cpanel.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	104186  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host