Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do I create an effect on an object similar to this on Illustrator?

How do I create an effect on an object similar to this on Illustrator?
    Please see the type show in the link provided : "CHIVAS"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-F-lpKYp-Qn...600/Chivas+log o+2012.jpg

Also, if anyone knows what font this is, it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Nick
    IP

Default Re: How do I create an effect on an object similar to this on Illustrator?

The font may be Utopia Bold.

If the effect was to be made in Illy, I would use a linear gradient that is applied to each letter individually, changing the angle and the number of stops and the distance between the stops for each letter. But it likely was done in Photoshop if an Adobe product was used, and likely using a filter effect.

Mike
    IP

Default Re: How do I create an effect on an object similar to this on Illustrator?

I agree with Mike here, I think that was done in PS. If you were to do it in Illy then the suggestion of using Gradients is right for the text. Also use use 3D -- Extrude & Bevel form the effects menu for the text as well. Unless you have the most recent version the very small shadow line behind the gold text might be hard. You could try a duplication and Place backward, Ctrl+[
    Now the background is hard but maybe done using the Pen Tool over the dark brown rectangle background and then use the pattern tool after saving lines and rectangle as a Symbol. After that I might just place a linear transparency over the whole lot to give the angled effect in lighting. After thought it might be better to do that bit in PS, just copy & paste.
    Here are a few gold gradients for you to play with. hope that helps and don't hesitate to come back if you need more help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Hey, I was wrong on the font. It is near identical, but the screen capture is from their brand guidelines. It is Giovanni.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-002127.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	104168  
    IP

Thank you for all your replies - very helpful! -
    As for the ai gold gradient textures you have supplied, how would I go about making this a gradient to apply to an object?
    IP

It depends how you want to use them! Easy way is to have your own drawing open the also open gradients as another doc. then copy and paste gradients in 1 at a time. With gradient selected drag the gradient into your swatches panel or with it selected click new swatch in your swatches panel. Now setting your lighting angle for any of the gradient swatches will depend on the version your running in AI. Tell you what here is a wiki how show show you how to do this on CS5 I think: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Gradient...be-Illustrator
    and another from Adobe help to give info on Swatches: http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/u...-swatches.html
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP