Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: September 2014 Guest Tute - Creating illustrations With Only Extrudes

I have just watched the video now, it is really interesting experiment how a modeling program shows that.

Around a month ago had similiar idea in Xara but finally did not post in this format, wanted to place the extruded laptop in front of the mirror, then place a Xara screen inside on its screen, on which inside there is another and so on in the depth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laptop.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	104144

Laptop10.xar

But finally booked it as a not successful attempt and the 'project' stopped Did not like the table and neither was sure whether the mirror really works like that. Anyway 'Only Extrudes' everything in the file

Default Re: September 2014 Guest Tute - Creating illustrations With Only Extrudes

In real life, csehz, to accomplish what you want here, two things must take place:

1. The monitor must be perfectly, flatly alined with the lens of the computer, or eventually, the multiple reflections will gradually move out of frame.

2. There can be no atmosphere. Even the slightest amount of haze or particle contamination will dull the reflection, plus the glass or reflective surface itself will eventually run out of ambient light to illuminate the scene.

Go to a fun house mirror attraction sometime, and if it's well-kept and kids haven't smeared chocolate ice cream all over the Plexiglas, you'll notice that the brightness of your reflection diminishes.

So perhaps in your illustration, the reflections could get duller so by the fifth reflection, the image is totally dark.

Name:	redundant.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	104157

I did this in Photoshop, but there's absolutely no reason not to do it in Xara, using masks.

-g

I hope I can explain this visually here: post #2 shows how a long lens type object looks in a mirror when the viewer is not at the camera's angle, and the object does not rest upon the mirror plane.

You're going to get a very different effect if, for example, you want to draw a sailboat on a mirror-like lake and you, the camera and spectator, are at least 40 feet in the air looking at the sailboat and its reflection.

When you look at an object sitting on a mirror plane from a superior angle, there is continuity between the angle ob the object and its reflection. The reflection does not flip-flop, but instead become and extension of the original object ad in thew reflection, you can see part of the original object that are hidden when the ground plane is not reflective. Here's "Right" and "Wrong" for illustrating landscape reflections:

Name:	continuity.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	104178

And here's a short video where the camera moves all over, and regardless of the camera's orientation, as long as an object is sitting on the plane, the perspective of the reflection is contiguous with the object, unlike the example

I hope this clarifies some of the sdtuff we've been doing on this thread!

My Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    When you look at an object sitting on a mirror plane from a superior angle, there is continuity between the angle ob the object and its reflection.
    Gare these examples are amazing teaching ones, thanks very much. That is really interesting so trying to translate it to the created lens, what is the technique in Xara to have that continuity between the object and reflection? Because the lens is in slight perspective angle, until I am aware of the technique is to create a mirror, give it a linear transparency and do not really know further

Name:	LensReflq.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	104197

This is where I'd take your experiment, csehz, and you might even discover you have a better way, or a better technique than I used in all of 5 minutes!

1. You're already at Step 1 in this illustration below. Thew angle of rotation on the two objects will cause a slight problem later, but I'll show you how to fix it. See, both sides, left and right, of the lens need to touch the reflection, or you run into a perspective error the way I'm going to do this.

2. select the reflection object, and then press Ctrl+Shift+C to make a bitmap copy, with alpha, click Create. Delete the source vector group of shapes, and then position the bitmap copy where the vector group was. With the Photo Enhance tool, go up to the Infobar and blur the hell out of the bitmap.

3. Create a trapezoid, which suggests this plane is viewed with a vanishing point. Put the bitmap blurred copy on top of the trapezoid. With the Transparency tool, drag straight down so the reflection is reduced at the farthest point light has to travel to display a reflection. Play with the linear transparency values up on the Infobar.

4. Finally, this is going to clip the blurry bitmap, so your solution at the very beginning is to clip the group of objects to a larger rectangle with no outline and no fill so there is some room for this distortion, and the edges og the distorted bitmap will not be clipped, truncated. First, take the original lens and rotate it so its long side is nearly parallel to the bottom of the page.
    Select the blurry bitmap, and then click it to put it into skew/rotate mode, and then skew the right side up until it meets the right side of the original illustration Rik did. You might also want to skew the blurry copy from left to a little to the right.

I'm sorry, your time's up! Actually, my time is up . It might be better to use the freeform perspective Mould tool on the reflection to get it exactly as you want, but this is real close to a believable reflection on a surface.

Name:	1234.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	104210

Does that work for you?

Xara file is attached, same as the screen snag posted here.

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gare thanks for the tips, had a chance a bit to play so came out something

Name:	lensreflp.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	104238

No any innovation just I like if that trapezoid is also an extrude, because later with the lights feeling more convenient to set the final color of that 'scene'.

@ scehz—

Holy ___ ! That is a piece worthy of your portfolio, with credits to Rik, for the design or the lens!

You're getting to the point where I will invite you to do a Guest Tutorial, man.

It's not so much that this is a BEAUTIFUL piece, but your approach and patience, your determination...all put together, make you a noteworthy artist!

Love it!

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by csehz View Post
    Gare thanks for the tips, had a chance a bit to play so came out something

Name:	lensreflp.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	104238

No any innovation just I like if that trapezoid is also an extrude, because later with the lights feeling more convenient to set the final color of that 'scene'.
    That really is very good, csehz.
    I mean, really good.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

As a crowning touch, would anyone like to calculate or fake a correct lens reflection or highlight, just so the left of the magnificent object Rik demonstrated, has just a little more photorealistic detail?

I'm am floored (that means "delighted" in American) y the depth of this tutorial and how member reached out and took the time to both learn and prduce something!

I'm buying the next round.

Perrier, of course; this is a Family Site.

Gary

I'll have a go at that.
    If I understood which part you meant?!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lens reflection.png 
Views:	201 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	104247  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone