Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: September 2014 Guest Tute - Creating illustrations With Only Extrudes

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Though you are the designer, I would have expected the materials to be similar, and therefore the reflections to be similar.
    What would you say?!
    Thanks for your opinions that it was a good idea, well with the reflections in two things I am surely weak, counting the shape of shadows and also the reflections Fortunately the lens was placed enough high to not deal with the shadows, however the monitor should have probably something

Relating the lens technically did in this case on the same way as previously mentioned so selecting all extrudes, switching on the lights and grabbing one light which directs also all the others. In my understanding the lights have different colors and that causes the slight differences.

Default Re: September 2014 Guest Tute - Creating illustrations With Only Extrudes

Csehz—

If you begin with unaltered light colours and several extrudes, the lights are all the default colors—which are an interesting choice but I always change them because blue and green don't suit the object I'm lighting 99% of the time! Also, if you make a light white, against a white background, the icon for the light on the page becomes invisible and going to Wireframe WILL NOT make it visible. You need to either put a piece of black to the back of the page, or choose the light from the Colour Editor and make it 30% black or something to restore the visibility of the light, pose it, and then change it back to white.

-g

Thanks for the advices, anyway the extrude tool bevel types and possible 'materials' should fit also for other technical illustrations like tablets, monitors etc.

Recently I did a test shooting our tablet to see which perspective value would be 'real' in Extrude tool. I was surprised a bit that 64 or maybe even a little bit more would be needed for this angle (64 is the max)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	perspective64.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	104083

See something else that happens? Reflections are not continuous when the camera is at an oblique angle. Many artists perfectly mirror an object within an reflective surface, however perspective is maintained in a reflection when the camera's position is directed the the front of the item being reflected.

Does this make any sense?

-g

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    See something else that happens? Reflections are not continuous when the camera is at an oblique angle. Many artists perfectly mirror an object within an reflective surface, however perspective is maintained in a reflection when the camera's position is directed the the front of the item being reflected.

Does this make any sense?

-g
    I don't know. If an object is perfectly reflected why wouldn't the vanishing point also be reflected. Not that you would see it anyway, but, wouldn't the reflected object still reflect to the reflected vanishing point and not the original VP? You make a good point but still I wonder.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

In a few hours, Larry, I will post a video on YouTube and link it here, to show what photometrically happens when you angle stuff in a mirror and the camera is the artist, okay? Words are getting in the way here!

-g

OK Gare, I'll look for it, thanks.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I needed to set it up just now and I'm rendering it. Should take two hours and then up to YouTube. I think you'll be surprised what you and an audience will see from different perspectives when a cylindrical object reflects into a mirror-like surface.

It surprised me!

-g

OK, will you post when it is ready?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

This is post 1 of two. This short video shows the reflection of a tube—like Rik's wonderful long lens—when views change in a mirror-like object.

The next video (probably tomorrow is quite different but shows reflections, too. What if you put an object directly on as mirror-like surface, such as a frozen mirror-like lake, and viewed it from a height of 5 or 6 feet? How do the reflections look? Hint: reflections of an object on a mirror are contiguous with perspective, they do not simply flip...the reflection continues to recede into the background.

Easier shown than said, though, stay tuned.

Larry, I hope this helps.

-Gary