Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

video Upgrade from Disk

I had upgraded to Designer Pro 10 from the Xara download page, activated the software. I have just received the CD in the mail is there anything on the Disk that I need to install or should I reinstall the software from the disk ?

Default Re: Upgrade from Disk

The only difference between the disk and the download is that the disk contains a copy of the Designs gallery for offline use. You'll need to update Xara as well if you install from the disk.

Thanks
    Rob

Rob, it would be really nice if -- for version 11 -- the disk would contain the option to only install the Designs Gallery instead of being forced to re-install the whole program and losing customized UI settings and such.

I had a position where I was invited to download the latest upgrade and it repeatedly failed.
    Xara advised installing from CD.
    First off, you can't over-install onto a later version. You need to uninstall it first.
    Then to be safe I uninstalled the Content Installer and also the Panorame download.

It failed.

I then managed to re-install after the second attempt.
    I then had to download the latest upgrade.

Needless to say, one has to nursemaid it all through its steps in constant attendance.
    All-in-all a very messy situation with loss of my preferences.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

You make it sound a lot messier than what it appears to be. The update didn't work for a reason (why did it fail?), so you had to uninstall and re-install, then update. Doesn't sound difficult nor too time consuming.

Every PC is very different in it's setup, security and settings, and every failure has a reason. If for example a anti-virus program prevents Xara from updating, we can investigate and fix. Whilst we do our best to prevent these problems from happening and have various setups to test, it's impossible to replicate every possible setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    You make it sound a lot messier than what it appears to be. The update didn't work for a reason (why did it fail?), so you had to uninstall and re-install, then update. Doesn't sound difficult nor too time consuming.

Every PC is very different in it's setup, security and settings, and every failure has a reason. If for example a anti-virus program prevents Xara from updating, we can investigate and fix. Whilst we do our best to prevent these problems from happening and have various setups to test, it's impossible to replicate every possible setup.
    Rob, I don't know why it failed. I ticketed Xara and I got a "have to tried switching it off and on again?" response.
    Do you explain to a novice how to uninstall the application, then, oh by the why, uninstall associated applications that you haven't mentioned that may or may not have an impact?

I was trying to point out your installer shouldn't have to take a user into areas of ignorance; you should include options for a removal and a re-installation and one for keeping configuration settings. All these are in Xara's gift and are nothing to do with my PC's setup.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat