Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Is there a way to create floating objects from clipboard pastes?

I'm using Designer Pro X10. When I paste something from the clipboard, is there more than one method of extracting the subject and making it a floating object? I tried using the Mask Painter Tool along with the Eraser, but that is a time-consuming process and the end result is less than desirable. The objects I extract are always on a solid white background, which should make things easier, but it hasn't. Is there a way to maybe select the white color and then invert, causing the object to become isolated? That would make extraction much easier.
    Any help is welcomed.

Default Re: Is there a way to create floating objects from clipboard pastes?

Use the Shape Tool (F4) and draw a smooth outline round the picture parts you want to keep.
    To refine the shape, make it translucent.
    Select it and the picture and Slice them.
    Delete the outer part.
    Use the Feather tool to smooth the edging.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you... I did not understand the process until you explained it. You've been a great help!

Thanks guys , this is something i could never figure out

Quote Originally Posted by Gary9450 View Post
    Thank you... I did not understand the process until you explained it. You've been a great help!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenzizzle View Post
    Thanks guys , this is something i could never figure out
    You should realise this this is a mainly destructive process and that learning to use a Mask will be more beneficial.
    Feathering can be used there as well.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    You should realise this this is a mainly destructive process and that learning to use a Mask will be more beneficial.
    Feathering can be used there as well.

Acorn
    Yes, that is why you should work on a copy just in case.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Why do you say it is destructive - the original image is still there and can be moved around using the fill tool or the original shape restored if necessary.
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Farrelly View Post
    Why do you say it is destructive - the original image is still there and can be moved around using the fill tool or the original shape restored if necessary.
    Christine, I was not thinking it through so thank you for the clarification. My use of "destructive" was around the process of getting to the final shape, not of the original image stored safely in the Bitmap gallery.
    My impression of this approach has always been one of it being hard to reconstruct because when one manipulates the picture with the Fill Tool, it is much harder to reconstruct all the transformations; having an infinite undo doesn't help if you have made other changes to other objects inbetweentimes.
    Acorn