Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Image size incorrect when importign into gallery widget

I am new to Web designer so excuse me if this is obvious but I've searched all day now and still can't solve this problem.

I want to create a large gallery, I have over 170 album covers to display , so am using a photo gallery I've tried both the 5 column & 8 column widget but when I import my album cover images it crops all the images tops, and I can't seem to get it to fit without lots of fiddling around resizing, as I have lots of images (different sizes) is there a quick way to make them fit?

I can click on the photo & layer gallery on the right and resize the page size sightly but then the picture holder still crops it, I then have to use anotehr tool to expand it then move it to the right place, interestingly even if I make it too big it still shows the image ina pretty universal size when I close the gallery editor.

Do I need to optimise all the images before hand?

Oh one last thing how can I get text below the images? or to appear on the image when clicked I've tried putting it into web properties

I'd really really appreciate any help..pulling my hair out now

Default Re: Image size incorrect when importign into gallery widget

well I think I have finally managed to do it, I resized all images with photoshop script, then edited first pic on gallery to be the same size, imported the first pic and get that looking right, then duplicated it and dragged in the other 170 odd images, the last 6 or 7 images were wrong but I did those 1 by one, I now have a gallery of all of the images hooray!

Trouble now I want their file names to show as text..goodness knows how to do that everything I've tried doesn't work and nothing in any help or google search.

Quote Originally Posted by boomish View Post
    Trouble now I want their file names to show as text..goodness knows how to do that everything I've tried doesn't work and nothing in any help or google search.
    You need to use the Name editor and type in filename=pictureXYZ, without a file extension.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    You need to use the Name editor and type in filename=pictureXYZ, without a file extension.

Acorn
    thank you soo much, I can open a "Names" dialog box in the widget is this correct? and do i type it exactly as you say "filename=picturexyz" I did try but nothing, I presume you mean it's actual filename and the picture no?
    Sorry to be thick here I am trying

On the Infobar toolbar there is a luggage tag icon. You can use Utilities > Names...
    You need to select a picture then click the icon and add its Name.
    You must press Add.

You need to do this for each picture.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

On the Infobar toolbar there is a luggage tag icon. You can use Utilities > Names...
    You need to select a picture then click the icon and add its Name.
    You must press Add.

You need to do this for each picture.

Acorn
    thanks again Acorn for the reply, I have tried this but nothing shows when I render the web page, just to be clear I'm working on images in a photo gallery slideshow 8col widget , I got into edit it, I select the first pic, click the name luggage icon or right click to get names in the contextual menu, in that box these names are already applied:
    autoreplace
    photoreplaced
    WTag:alt:alt
    WTag:image:image
    WTag:scaled(47):thumbnail

I can type in the filename or any text Add it, close the widget then open web page preview, when I select the pic it pops up & dims the background, but no text shows at any time.

I've tried lots of different ways but nothing shows, even text on top of the image, had quite a few crashes trying stuff out too. I don't get why it's so tricky to add captions to images..maybe its not possible with this widget

I've tried to locate your widget in my application and can't find it.
    Adding filename= in the Names window allowing the filename, when published, to be stored as index_htm_files\filename.jpg and not 1234.jpg.
    The WTag:alt:alt Name is probably allowing you to display the image's Alt text caption (Web Properties > Image > Image Caption (Alt Text); it might only be a hover feature.

If you describe where in the Online Catalogue or Design gallery you inserted the widget from, I can check properly.

Acorn

P.S. Did you consider importing all the images then scaling them down to thumbnail and setting their Links to "pop-up photo"?
    When you add the Alt Text it then appears at the bottom of the expanded image.
    If you can use HTML, you can add <p> and <a> tags and stylings to get some very good control.

I've tried to locate your widget in my application and can't find it.
    Adding filename= in the Names window allowing the filename, when published, to be stored as index_htm_files\filename.jpg and not 1234.jpg.
    The WTag:alt:alt Name is probably allowing you to display the image's Alt text caption (Web Properties > Image > Image Caption (Alt Text); it might only be a hover feature.

If you describe where in the Online Catalogue or Design gallery you inserted the widget from, I can check properly.

Acorn

P.S. Did you consider importing all the images then scaling them down to thumbnail and setting their Links to "pop-up photo"?
    When you add the Alt Text it then appears at the bottom of the expanded image.
    If you can use HTML, you can add <p> and <a> tags and stylings to get some very good control.
    Thanks again Acorn for the reply, I have tried all your suggestions and ones like it but can't get the text to show, I'm using Web Designer 10 and the widget is called Gallery slideshow - http://www.xara.com/uk/widgets/v10/p...nt_slideshows/ look for Gallery Slideshows, weirdly I can post the image here.
    It says nothing about adding text, I am using the 8 column version..

at the moment I have given up and concentrating on other bits of the web site..maybe I have to scrap it and choose something else, but not sure how to display so many images, I don't want multiple pages.

Once again I appreciate your help..

Info Re: Image size incorrect when importign into gallery widget

I've thrown a "better" substitute for the 8-column Gallery slideshow together.

How to do a Photo Gallery properly.web

Each thumbnail is a soft-grouped image on top of a frame with a shadow.

You clone a landscape or portrait thumbnail, position and size it and then drop a new image onto it.
    You use Web Properties > Image to access the text. You must ctrl-click to get to the image (it's in a soft-group, mind).

Good luck with your site.

Acorn

I've thrown a "better" substitute for the 8-column Gallery slideshow together.

How to do a Photo Gallery properly.web

Each thumbnail is a soft-grouped image on top of a frame with a shadow.

You clone a landscape or portrait thumbnail, position and size it and then drop a new image onto it.
    You use Web Properties > Image to access the text. You must ctrl-click to get to the image (it's in a soft-group, mind).

Good luck with your site.

Acorn
    OMG thank you so so much, that looks fantastic...!! I shall pm back when it's done, wow I really can't thank you enough..