Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default JPEG Progressive

Hi there,

I've just installed Xara Phot & Graphic Designer 9 and I've discovered that the jpeg progressive option is missing. I can't believe this feature has been removed, so there must be something wrong with my installation. Some idea?

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	png.pn.png 
Views:	204 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	103851
    IP

Default Re: JPEG Progressive

I'm no help because I always export as png. Never noticed that feature missing. Hopefully someone else can shed some light.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.
    IP

My guess is that these is not as much need for progressive JPEGs any more as most computers and browsers are fast enough to make this unnecessary. But I agree, it should not have been dropped.

If you still have your older version that did have this option, then keep it installed and use it to create progressive JPEGs.
    IP

Thanks GWPriester and Wizard for your responses. Indeed dropping this option is a terrible idea.
    IP

The library we use for processing of JPEG images does not support progressive JPEG export. There were many benefits of changing to the current library such as faster and better quality normal JPEG export.

Its possible that additional libraries will be evaluated in line with future releases which may see this feature reinstated

Thanks
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by bb2 View Post
    The library we use for processing of JPEG images does not support progressive JPEG export. There were many benefits of changing to the current library such as faster and better quality normal JPEG export.

Its possible that additional libraries will be evaluated in line with future releases which may see this feature reinstated

Thanks
    One year later, equally frustrated. I pretty much can’t see any improvement in JPEG quality or speed compared with previous versions of Xara, but sure I do miss the progressive option, which is a basic feature of ANY graphic software. I love Xara Graphic Designer and I’ve been a loyal user for many years, but this tiny bit thing is driving me crazy.
    IP

Really surprised that anyone is still using progressive jpgs (or wants to use them).
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Really surprised that anyone is still using progressive jpgs (or wants to use them).
    I suspect you feel ‘really surprised’ every time you meet someone who doesn’t share each and every one of your necessities, inclinations, frustrations and beliefs, but let me say respectfully that’s none of my business. In this day and age everyone has broadband access to Internet, as we all know. I wonder if you find extremely bothering this specific feature when you encounter it in the export dialog of basically any graphic software… except for Xara, but it’s just a rhetoric question. No need to answer. Maybe the marketing team should add this new feature to the product page: ‘for your convenience, now without progressive jpeg, and for the same price!

BB2 wrote: «Its possible that additional libraries will be evaluated in line with future releases which may see this feature reinstated». If that thing happens, I hope good old pauland will not consider it some kind of personal insult.
    In any event, still open to useful insights and good news.
    IP

I suspect you feel ‘really surprised’ every time you meet someone who doesn’t share each and every one of your necessities, inclinations, frustrations and beliefs

That's not at all the case.

It was an opportunity for you to say why progressive jpeg was still relevant today and useful to you. I am surprised because it's been ages (years, probably) since I've come across anyone mentioning progressive jpeg in any context.

Perhaps next time don't assume the motivations for people's posts and use the opportunity to enlighten those who don't necessarily see the relevance of progressive jpeg today.
    IP

I do not think that response is necessary Sunjammer

I agree with Paul that there is not as much need for progressive JPEG images or photographic GIF images, though at one time both served good purposes.
    IP