Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default September 2014 Video Tutorial -- Xara Photo Compositions Part 1

Xara Photo Compositions Part 1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unexcpected-vid-tutorial.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	103821

Xara Designer Pro contains some subtle but very apt and effective features for producing astounding image work in a way unlike other programs, vector or bitmap. This month, you’ll get a double scoop of advanced imaging techniques that only looks advanced. Gary Bouton is your video guide to producing top notch, intriguing photo compositions. Go get the tutorial files, learn two creative techniques this month—creating depth of field and selective color correction now, and then take a deep breath and great into masking tools later this month. Two parts, too much fun!

Dig in and show us your compositions here.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Default Re: September 2014 Video Tutorial -- Xara Photo Compositions Part 1

Hi Guys, just asking for a little information here after trying to start Gary's video tut. Rather than put my question in lots of text I have put it in this Jpg, I think you will see what is missing in my version XP&GD10. Or am I missing something ?

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Problem.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	103831  

Hi Stygg—

At the risk of sounding like a jerk (which I do daily), I just downloaded Photo and Graphics Designer 10, and there appears to be no masks, or Select colours to Enhance feature. I'm guessing this comes with only the Pro version but there is a wonky workaround.

1. Use a drawing tool to draw around the area whose color you want to replace.

2. Give this shape no outline and no fill.

3. Ctrl+Shift+C to make a bitmap copy, and then use TrueColor without alpha. Accept and there's an approximation of your shape on the page.

4. Align it with the area on the photo you want to change, and then trim away (clip) unwanted areas, 'cause your bitmap copy is rectangular.

5. With the Photo tool, use the Hue/Saturation or any other feature specific to the Photo tool to bring the color and saturation in line with what you desire.

I'll provide and example later today if you need it and I get the chance, Stygg.

By the way, the chess Depth of Field tutorial can be done using just about any version of Xara and I thought this was a fun effect to create.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You will notice in the almost 3 years since Gary P. turned the keys to Xara Xone over to me, that I've created tutorials that many different past versions of Xara can use. Because I'm an inclusive rather than an exclusive kinda guy.

But: 1.) Some members have complained that I don't cover the latest/greatest features, and

2.) Covering a tutorial done in version 6 doesn't help sell version 10, now. And if enough people don't upgrade, Xara's revenue stream might trickle out, and this will certainly cause Wall Street to collapse again, we'll be plagued by 40 years of harvest-devouring locusts, and Downton Abbey will be cancelled and they'll bring back Benny Hill reruns.

And ice cream will only come in vanilla from now on.

So I have my reasons for creating a version-specific tute, but it's only one out of 3; there's a Masks tutorial coming up later this month (September is a double-feature), and previous versions of XDP supports masks.

My Best,

Gary

Cheers for that Gary, at least I know that feature is not in PG10, but as always in Xara, where there's a will there's a way Just did this quick work around. Used the masking tools to select the areas I wanted to change, the three rectangles and then the freehand masking tool to change the model to suit. Now I know it can be done in PG10 I'll make a better and complete job later. Having said that, the offer is still on for Upgrade to ProX10 from PGD10, which includes DVD and manual, see what I've got left in the piggy bank

Stygg

Name:	66.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	103834  
    Last edited by stygg2003; 12 September 2014 at 05:35 PM.

Gare thanks for showing those buttons in the Enchance photos, rarely used to go there.

These monsters at the door once wanted to come in

Name:	saskak.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	103835

Nicely done grasshopper

Stygg

Thanks Stygg, but again I was not able to catch faster the monthly tutorial than you

Just the shape tool around the monsters and the blur try yet

Name:	Invasion.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	103844

Another nice monsters one csehz, since I do not have the extra tools in P&GD10, tolerance and fade options, I worked some more using the mask tools, hue and saturation and on the girls lips I applied linear enhance transparency. It's all a little more work but it all seems to look ok. The masking tools are great. I missed a little bit out on the girls costume strap but that's because I need my glasses changing

Stygg

Name:	33.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	103846  

Stygg—

Nice going and good original thinking. It's easier in 10, yeah, however you rose to the occasion and the composition is more harmonious now!

I'm glad people are having fun and having a go at this part 1 of 2 image retouching videos thin month.!

-g