Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Helle Alden Knife

Thought i'd post this up as it's the latest vector, just finished this today and was done purely for fun. Reason for doing this is that i'm into camping/bushcraft, etc as it's great for the kid to get out and enjoy the countryside. Just about to purchase this for our next trip away at the end of the month, hence the vector.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helle-Alden-Knife.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	103796

Default Re: Helle Alden Knife

Great idea to take the boy/girl out into the countryside (unless it's to kill what's in the countryside in which case it's just dumb). I really like your Helle Alden illustration, it reminds me of the Opinel knives that just about all of the locals around here carry in their pocket and they keep them for dozens and dozens of years. You can really tell the old ones by the way the plade is half the width (or less!) than it was when it was bought! The knife you have drawn appear not to fold out but be fixed, although I could be wrong as I don't know that make of knife.

In any case, Great Drawing, keep 'em coming!
    Last edited by Big Frank; 10 September 2014 at 12:29 AM. Reason: to edit my post... :oops:
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Great idea to take the boy/girl out into the countryside (unless it's to kill what's in the countryside in which case it's just dumb). I really like your Helle Alden illustration, it reminds me of the Opinel knives that just about all of the locals around here carry in their pocket and they keep them for dozens and dozens of years. You can really tell the old ones by the way the plade is half the width (or less!) than it was when it was bought! The knife you have drawn appear not to fold out but be fixed, although I could be wrong as I don't know that make of knife.

In any case, Great Drawing, keep 'em coming!
    Taking my daughter to the countryside is purely to enjoy what it has to offer and teach her how to appreciate the land. We tend to do a lot of craft stuff when we are out & about. I have heard of those Opinel Knives before buy never owned one and yes the one in the Illustration is a fixed blade. I carry an Eka folding knife which is just over 20 yr old now and when you compare it to a new one, yes you can see the wear on the blade as it's been sharpened over the years which i have always found appealing. Gives them character i say.

Thanks for the comment as much appreciated.

Very nice.

Many years ago whilst on the coast of South Africa I found a knife on the deck. It was an Okapi knife, the best knife I ever owned. It could cut through rope as if it was butter and never seemed to loose it's edge. I lost it a couple of years later and no doubt to someone else's good forune. I still miss that knife to this day.

Thanks for triggering a memory GOvectorZ, and your image is great.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Having looked further I've found a photo very similar to the one I found apart from it didn't have the key-ring. It was destinctive in that it had the locking device outside the knifes body.

Pretty sad when you're still looking for a knife that you lost in 1967!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	okapi.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	103797  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Very nice.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Having looked further I've found a photo very similar to the one I found apart from it didn't have the key-ring. It was destinctive in that it had the locking device outside the knifes body.

Pretty sad when you're still looking for a knife that you lost in 1967!
    I appreciate you taking the time to go search for an image of these knives as i've never heard of them and they look a real nice everyday use kind of knife and i'd most probably buy one of these myself if i seen one for sale. The locking mechanism intrigues enough me alone to buy one of these but hearing that they keep an edge well and sharpens well, is all i want from any knife. Never been into pretty looking knifes if they can't be used as they are intended. And you made me laugh saying you must sad if your still looking for it, as that only means that i must be sad also as i would do the same. Once you have a good blade, there is no comparison i say. Again, thanks for this story and letting me know about a knife i've not heard of. And it's always good to jog the old memory i say (not that i'm calling you old), especially when they are good ones.

ps: thanks for the comment on the Helle image.

Quote Originally Posted by GOvectorZ View Post
    hearing that they keep an edge well and sharpens well, is all i want from any knife. Never been into pretty looking knifes if they can't be used as they are intended.
    I bought a Swiss Champ back in 1985 when I had my first Goldwing (I was in Switzerland so I guessed I wouldn't get it cheaper anywhere else which turned out to be very true) and, although small compared to the knives in this thread, I have never regretted that purchase. I still use it daily in my PC repair work but it's been used to chop branches to create and carve walking sticks whilst in the great outdoors. As you can see, the blade has seen better days, but it continues to slice into anything (I have the scars to prove it)!

Name:	IMG_9268.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	103802
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    I bought a Swiss Champ back in 1985 when I had my first Goldwing (I was in Switzerland so I guessed I wouldn't get it cheaper anywhere else which turned out to be very true) and, although small compared to the knives in this thread, I have never regretted that purchase. I still use it daily in my PC repair work but it's been used to chop branches to create and carve walking sticks whilst in the great outdoors. As you can see, the blade has seen better days, but it continues to slice into anything (I have the scars to prove it)!

Name:	IMG_9268.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	103802
    A Honda Goldwing, brings back memories those do. I gave up bikes when my kids come along and still kind of hold that against them (and yes they've been told so). Would be great to see any Carved walking sticks if you have nay pictures about. I do some whittling when i'm out & about as it's a great pass time. As for your knife, it's great to see one that you know is and has been used, but is that heat damage at front? My daily knife has the point missing also, but like your it tells a story.

ps: i'll post up a few whittled pieces shortly now you have me thinking of them.