Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to create a simple dynamic web page that your client can update / amend.

This is a follow on from this thread:
    http://User-updatable text and/or image?

I thought it better to start a new thread.

The OP wanted a simple way for a client to alter page content after he'd created the site and thereafter had no further input.

It was also required that the client didn't require a large learning curve in doing so.

Here is my solution: Watch in HD.

Again it's one of my mumble-bumble video's but I hope you can follow the process.

If anyone's interested in me expanding this method of including dynamic content with a very simple client input please let me know and I'll explain further
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: How to create a simple dynamic web page that your client can update / amend.

Here's a link to the basic web page:
    http://www.parkeston.com/google-drive-cms-2/
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: How to create a simple dynamic web page that your client can update / amend.

Here's a link to the Google Drive folder, in which you should be able to edit/amend the content quite easily.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...E0&usp=sharing

JUST ONE REQUEST: Please don't alter the Prawn Cocktail description or price otherwise it could mess up the video tutorial content
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 09 September 2014 at 09:13 PM.
    Egg

To edit the content you need to click on the Options button to enter the edit page (which doesn't appear to work on an iPad / iPhone but hey-ho.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g-edit.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	103793  
    Egg

I'm fairly stunned to note that I'm the first to respond to this post even though it's been up quite a while (Edit: no it's not, it's been up a couple of hours that's all, my mistake) (I say "my mistake" because "my bad" simply sounds stupid. My bad what? My bad egg? My bad pair of slippers? My bad wallpaper? What? Just stupid). Well let me be the first to kick aside the tumbleweed and congratulate you on what you have achieved here. It's not a solution that I would employ, but imo it's a solution that can and will satisfy a lot of small sme website creators.

Egg, even though you have used a very Heath Robinson method to create a dynamic, user-editable web page, it really couldn't be simpler and the customer shouldn't have any complaints unless what she wanted was something like Joomla in which case she should have said so in the first place and be prepared to put her money on the table because Joomla and many other CMSs of that level (even Wordpress) are NOT simple whereas this is.

Clearly the graphics could be enhanced a little (a lot???) to add a drool factor and of course it isn't "seamless" which many clients want, but then many clients want the world when they aren't even prepared to pay the price of a plate of egg and chips. Tightwads, we used to call them, but only when we were feeling polite. You've clearly shown a way for Tightwads to have a site they can edit themselves whilst you, the Xara website creator, retain control of the graphics and design. And of course there is a minuscule learning curve for the client, another bonus in these days of minuscule clients with minuscule budgets and minuscule vision.

10/10 for effort, Egg, hats off to you for blazing a path where nobody else has yet tread.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Big Frank, as you state my goal is not to develop a fully functioning CMS website, just simple responsive content that is easily amended by the client with no further input to the template. Limitations exist of course, but it's a compromise

As for graphics I haven't even looked at that area, just concentrated on the "cms" side.

I'm particularly pleased with the Mobile side of the website variant that allows swiping between the menus.

Thank you for your comments.
    Egg

Sorry Egg, I should have responded sooner. But since I would prefer not to have clients messing with my design I did not take the time to look at your solution. Which is brilliant. Thank you for this and I shall bookmark this thread for the next time, and the next time, and the next time and... it comes up.

Thanks for your reply Gary, however:

... I should have responded sooner ..
    I can't understand, I only opened the thread about 90 minutes ago ?

At the same time I think that you're agreeing it's a solution (or as BF puts it a Heath Robinson solution, which it is, but if it works ...)
    Egg

I love Heath Robinson, probably the first advocate of "thinking outside the box". The question remains, what box?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...binson_WWI.png
    Egg

Don't know what to say Egg - is there anything you can't do?
    Mike