Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Default Re: Drop Cap September 2014

Max I don't know how I missed it before, but, I think your recent piano keyboard drop cap s great. Thanks for persisting.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by csehz View Post
    Max maybe you will hate my opinion but that is a great idea and looking really interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Max I don't know how I missed it before, but, I think your recent piano keyboard drop cap s great. Thanks for persisting.
    Thanks to all,my friends

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    I like it MAX, But, i feel that the inclusion of the figure unnecessary. My fist impression on seeing the thumbnail was wihat are those angled shapes. I understood looking at the larger view. Which makes me wonder if I was all wet with my idea of piano keys because when reduced to a usable size for use as a Drop Cap the piano keys would mostly be lost. Was a valiant effort on your part. Sorry if I rained on your parade. Anyway I'm sure some of mine might suffer when reduced, i was just thinking, what if the keyboard was moved up, the height increased, and fewer keys? Or something like that. Just throwing out ideas.
    Hi Larry, I've tried to follow your advices

this is the result

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DropCap_09_14_piano_b.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	103958

Much better Max. It does resemble a grand piano and the keys are much more visible now and I like it, how about you. I really really liked your post 43, did you decide against that one.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

The font is Gothic Leaf, which in its basic form is just a black rectangle with the L shape and decoration cut away from it.
    So I regarded this as a stencil, and placed a few brush strokes using Xara's Petal Brush and converted the lines to shapes.
    This allowed me to add an outline to the former brush. I experimented with various coloured rectangles and contones until
    I found something I was happy with, it puts me in mind of a stained glass effect. Unfortunately I wasn't taking notes as I
    was making this, so it's unlikely that I could replicate it.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L6.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	103961   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	font.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	103962  

** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

A variation of the above using a different contone and a bitmap texture from Filter Forge.
    Bob.

Name:	L6 v2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	103964  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Very attractive Bob. I have never tried the petal brush, but I'll have to look into it. Thanks. Isn't it amazing how we all have different ways of making a Drop Cap? Like the scribble it's simply amazing.
    And, we all learn from these, and, that's why I consider the challenges such an important forum. I think this one is going into my collection of Drop Caps.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Glad to see I am not the only one using Filter Forge on these things. While I like this one, my personal taste says that the orange and the green are just too close in value.

EDIT AGAIN: I love the darker green used on this one.
    Last edited by wizard509; 22 September 2014 at 02:35 PM. Reason: added the words the only one
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Thanks for your comments, Larry. I agree about post #55, which I why I posted the variation.
    This new one is a mixture of vector (inner contour for the shiny gold effect and the frame), and raster for the outer glow, grunge, black background and the bevel.
    The font is a great slab serif - Black Oak.
    I was wondering if this design might be a bit over-the-top.
    Bob.

Name:	L4.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	103973  

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    Thanks for your comments, Larry. I agree about post #55, which I why I posted the variation.
    This new one is a mixture of vector (inner contour for the shiny gold effect and the frame), and raster for the outer glow, grunge, black background and the bevel.
    The font is a great slab serif - Black Oak.
    I was wondering if this design might be a bit over-the-top.
    Bob.
    Oh I don't know. Looks good Bob, and I think it might be effective.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509