Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Drop Cap September 2014

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    Lots of really great Drop Caps this month
    Bob.
    I

I agree Bob.

I like this one a lot.

I can't help but wonder though how it would hold when reduced to a usable Drop Cap size.
    But I cannot test it at the moment because I am on an iPad.

I expressed this concern to Max in #36 above. Anyway wether I am right or wrong, it is something to keep in mind.

I have the same problem with icons. Many have produced some really beautiful icons but at icon size they fall apart.

I think my swan Drop Cap in post 34 may have the same problem.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Max,

Love that Drop Cap. It immeadiately reminded me of a much loved & missed British comedian Les Dawson, one of who's talents was tho play piano very badly (of course he could play extremely well) So I've modified your Cap as a tribute to Les.
    Thanks Egg, I really like the way you have used my Drop Cap. Brillant !!... like Les Dawson (whom I haven't known before)

Max

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    I like it MAX, But, i feel that the inclusion of the figure unnecessary. My fist impression on seeing the thumbnail was wihat are those angled shapes. I understood looking at the larger view. Which makes me wonder if I was all wet with my idea of piano keys because when reduced to a usable size for use as a Drop Cap the piano keys would mostly be lost. Was a valiant effort on your part. Sorry if I rained on your parade. Anyway I'm sure some of mine might suffer when reduced, i was just thinking, what if the keyboard was moved up, the height increased, and fewer keys? Or something like that. Just throwing out ideas.
    Hi Larry, I appreciated your criticism, I think it's the way for growing and getting better. I hate the forums where the members only write "Wow, it's so beautiful" !

I will try to follow your advice and let's give a look on the result.

Max

Meanwhile, still following your "keys piano" idea, I have created a new drop cap

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DropCap_09_14_pianokeys.png 
Views:	191 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	103837 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DropCap_09_14_pianokeys_b.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	103838

Interesting discussion re the relative size of drop caps and the subsequent visibility of their content. I suppose today the use of drop caps has largely gone out of use, if it remains then at the very best the drop cap is twice the size or less than the accompanying text.

However this wasn't always the case. On ancient manuscripts, hand drawn by mostly monks, it was quite common for the drop cap to fill the top eighth or even the top quarter of the page.

I attach an image of the Harwich Town Charter of 1604 granting borough status to the town by King James (1st of England, 6th of Scotland) dated 1604. The drop cap is of the letter 'T' and includes a image of King James.

This drop cap takes up at least a sixteenth of top left corner of the charter. Unfortunately I can't currently find the image of the whole first page of the charter.

As an aside. with only a few days to go until the referendum, please Scotland, stay with the union.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop-cap-1604.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	103840  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 13 September 2014 at 05:54 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I knew I had the original somewhere. Here is the charter in full size and the drop cap is at least six times larger than the accompanying text. I just love these old documents created by scribes and monks. How many hours were spent creating them? What if you made a spelling mistake?
    Todays equivalant would be a 500 page document spat out by a laser printer in Times New Roman that no one will ever read.

Name:	drop-cap-1604-charter.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	103842  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Interesting Egg, but it looks like they are decorating the entire page in one way or another.

I respectfully submit the following. How much is true is up to you to decide however it is my understanding that a Drop Cap can be the first letter of the first word of a paragraph or could be large enough to maybe be 3 to 4 maybe even 6 lines in height. At least today. I have seen somewhere that it is used as the first letter of a chapter, but, I have never seen that.

http://www.thebookdesigner.com/2012/...ap-typography/

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...001056510.aspx

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012...est-practices/
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Here is an example of the drop cap taking up all of the left hand of the page. Taking this to its logical conclusion, I imagine that the text could appear on the recto (right-hand page) of a book, and the drop capital on the facing page, or verso. But I do take Larry's point that usually a drop cap has a depth of seven lines of text.
    Bob.

Name:	drop cap.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	103857  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Whew that is a large one. Too large in my opinion, and defeats the purpose as I understand it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

3 more. Tweaked to look good at small size.

Name:	1.png 
Views:	151 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	103929 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	156 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	103930 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.png 
Views:	158 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	103931
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Quote Originally Posted by maxcon62 View Post
    Meanwhile, still following your "keys piano" idea, I have created a new drop cap

Name:	DropCap_09_14_pianokeys.png 
Views:	191 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	103837 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DropCap_09_14_pianokeys_b.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	103838
    Max maybe you will hate my opinion but that is a great idea and looking really interesting