Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default newbie desparate to figure out how to do this!

Searching past posts I came across this:

OK, well the !FixedTab tweak will be close to what you want. (tweak is available included in the attached demo file)
    The tweak is placed on the page (you can have it mostly on the pasteboard so long as it just touches the page, else it will be ignored)
    This creates a new layer named !FixedTab
    Any object placed on this layer will remain in that position as the page is scrolled.
    No HTML or CSS editing required, just drag and drop.

What you can't do with this tweak are mouseover popups (though mouseover text links still work in the normal way)

Attached Files Attached Files

File Type: xar fixed.xar (13.9 KB, 203 views)

I down loaded that file and tried every which way to get this to work. To no avail. It would not automatically create the !FixedTab layer. I created it - put the tweak in that layer. Did not help. I tried putting that tweak on the "Pasteboard background" the "Page background" layers tried the "MouseOff" and "MouseOver Layer". No success. The best I got was the background to scroll and the "homepage" static. That kept half of the page from ever bring seen. I want the nav bar to be able to be locked to the left side and the rest of the page to scroll over the static background image on the Pasteboard. So if the actual page is longer then then the size of the Pasteboard background page height - it won't matter the page will just scroll or float over that Pasteboard background with the nav bar always visible as the rest of the page scrolls past it. I want this available on all pages.

Here was the original post I am trying to understand and get the "tweak" to work:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...679#post470679

I probably am not following protocol - please forgive - I am a total newbie at forums. I just know I have been searching for this effect and finally found this tweak. But I can't get it to work. Can one of the real pros please set me straight?

Since I posted this. I got the nav bar to be stationary on the left side of the page. BUT the Pasteboard keeps scrolling with the page. I want the page to float or scroll over a stationary Pasteboard - how do I do that please? . Also there is no "MouseOver" effect on the nav bar. How do I correct that, change that?
    Last edited by EVERLAST&GREEN; 26 August 2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: made some progress on the issue after I posted

Default Re: newbie desparate to figure out how to do this!

Hi, open XDPX9 and select Help > Xara Designer Pro X9 Help...
    If you then search for pasteboard you will find some text:

Fixed, non-scrolling backgrounds

Normally if you have a long web page that can be scrolled in the browser, the browser background scrolls with it, so the page content remains in the same place relative to the background. But you can 'fix' the background so it doesn't scroll with the page content. Right-click on the pasteboard and select "Pasteboard background" > "Fixed". Then when you preview, the content slides over the fixed background as you scroll (to see this, make sure your page is long enough so the browser shows a scroll bar!).
    To switch back to the default, scrolling, behavior, select "Pasteboard background" > "Scrolling".

There is a wrinkle in that the Pasteboard layer needs to be locked: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...steboard-image

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, Thank you for that tip. It does indeed fix the background so the page "scrolls" over it. BUT then the nav bar scrolls with it rather then be fixed on the background the nav bar scrolls with the page rather then be fixed. How do I get the nav bar to be "fixed" on the right side while the rest of the page scrolls like this: http://xara-users.info/demos/left-ri...mple/index.htm

You put the buttons/links on the Pasteboard.
    You would unlock the Pasteboard in the Page and Layer gallery and move them form their current layer.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you Acorn. But I lose the "MouseOver" effect. Becomes just a static nav bar that does not show a change when "Mouseed Over" how do I get that? What is the "secret sauce" as it were in the "MouseOver Layer" that lets it interact with the "MouseOff" and how do I get that with this static placement nav bar. Thank you again for your direction and suggestions. Most appreciated. I have not done anything with web design since the days of "Front Page" ...stumbled accross XARA and just love it, but it is so different. Thank you again for patience with a newbie.

I don't think you can have a conventional roll-over effect but what you can use is the Website Link Colours under Web Properties / Website.

On the attached xar file, using Steve's original !Fixed Link layer, the text changes from Blue to Red on roll-over.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I don't think you can have a conventional roll-over effect but what you can use is the Website Link Colours under Web Properties / Website.

On the attached xar file, using Steve's original !Fixed Link layer, the text changes from Blue to Red on roll-over.
    There is a CSS3 approach that I documented here: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ouseOver-layer.

The attached example is a SLOW fade out but could be adapted for a roll-over effect using a single layer: CSS Fade in.web.

Acorn

Yes, that sounds like a way around roll-overs in this case Acorn.

Meanwhile I attach a variation of the previously attached xar.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg, Thank you so much for that file - The other "fixed tab" file just did not work for me. This one did. I have not got the text to be different colors on the "mouseover" - but the links work and that is the main thing. You guys are all such wonderful people to take the time and effort to clue in one who in so many ways is "clueless" as to the ins and outs of this program. Speaking of that; can someone please tell me what is the difference in XARA from "duplicate" " ..."clone" AND "copy" --they must have different functions or else it would be just called one thing - still I can't see any difference. Please clarify if you can. Thank you again for your advice.

No problem.
    Duplicate creates a duplicate of the selected shape/s offset by whatever is set in Utilities/Options/Genaral Tab bottom right Duplication Distance X & Y.
    Clone duplicates the shape/s exactly above the original.
    Copy copies to the windows clipboard from where it can be pasted using Paste or Ctrl+V. Shift+Ctrl+V Pastes it into the exact position as the original.
    Egg