Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara 2D drawings to 3D modeling program

Your renders are so good Gare that really inspiring going on this 3D road yet.

But anyway then that road does not seems finishing there, as a whole new dimensions seems of this thread like 'Re-work of 3D rendered images in Xara 2D'

Quote Originally Posted by csehz View Post
    Your renders are so good Gare that really inspiring going on this 3D road yet.

But anyway then that road does not seems finishing there, as a whole new dimensions seems of this thread like 'Re-work of 3D rendered images in Xara 2D'
    csehz—

From about 1989 to 1997, I taught Art in a "narrow" fashion. Example: I wrote 12 Photoshop books, and was unhappy with almost all of them because I was "working for The Man", Adobe, you know? I was selling product first, and teaching Art second.

Quietly, and no software company has complained so far, I started teaching Art first, and the use of a particular program to fulfill the need of the Artist as a secondary concern and necessity to not get fired. I've done it in 3 CorelDRAW books, one book on Xara, and my video tutorials are sort of a film version of what I do in print.

So. If I inspire, I hope it's for the right reasons and in the right direction. I usually hesitate to call my modeling work 3D, because I only work in a simulated 3D space to produce a "fake photograph", a 2D representation of a 3D scene. And to be fair to at least myself, I should explain what I do when I post a 3D image. No one wants to learn a program inside out and know what button to push in their sleep! The attraction to Xara is that it promises to be an easy route to fulfilling your desire for self-expression, which is a very powerful one among civilized people (actually, all people!).

Okay, you want to go from 3D to 2D? I rendered off a shirt, locked it on a layer in Xara, traced the basic shape, and then posterized the drawing by eye. Is this what you mean? If so, I did a video on "Tracing is not cheating" back in January I think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#D to 2D.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	108225

My Best,

Gary

I don't have any 3-D rendering software, just Xara. I have attached a file with some vector shapes based on Gary's sample file. Its something fun to play around with if anyone is interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	108260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	108261  

Attached Files Attached Files

Oh, Crikers (as the Aussies say)—

Paul, that sample images was from 2 years ago! If anyone wants to make a go out of 2D splines I use to lathe 3D shapes, I designed a typeface of some common lathe object, attached. And I probably created it two years ago.

Oh, by the way, Paul, your vase (or wide candlestick!) is briliant. It inspired me to get off my sit-upon and do this post.

Here's what you do: you take most of these shapes...some were intended as extrudes...flip a copy and butt he edges together, Boolean Add them together, and then try to add some slightly downward perspective on them. Paul, any help from you on this one?

Name:	a323e9ff3472ad203854044713e6e48a.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	108263

This Xara file is in the zip file, too, to show how easy it is to make a 3D bolt. The top is just a QuickShace octagon, extruded, played with the lights, rotated it along its X (top to bottom) axis.

My Best,

Gare

Thanks for the vase zip file Gary, most useful, see what I can come up with

Stygg

Quote Originally Posted by Psaumure View Post
    I don't have any 3-D rendering software, just Xara. I have attached a file with some vector shapes based on Gary's sample file. Its something fun to play around with if anyone is interested.
    I'm certainly interested Paul, thanks for the file, plenty of files such as yours and Gary's gives me plenty to try and improve my use of Xara. On a more "hope you don't mind" grovel I wanted to try and re-create the light effects in your second space odyssey theme, tried to get it near as same for my own learning experience.

Stygg

Name:	99.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	108267  

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Oh, Crikers (as the Aussies say)—

Paul, that sample images was from 2 years ago! If anyone wants to make a go out of 2D splines I use to lathe 3D shapes, I designed a typeface of some common lathe object, attached. And I probably created it two years ago.

Oh, by the way, Paul, your vase (or wide candlestick!) is briliant. It inspired me to get off my sit-upon and do this post.

Here's what you do: you take most of these shapes...some were intended as extrudes...flip a copy and butt he edges together, Boolean Add them together, and then try to add some slightly downward perspective on them. Paul, any help from you on this one?

Name:	a323e9ff3472ad203854044713e6e48a.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	108263

This Xara file is in the zip file, too, to show how easy it is to make a 3D bolt. The top is just a QuickShace octagon, extruded, played with the lights, rotated it along its X (top to bottom) axis.

My Best,

Gare
    Hey Gary, Here is a file with a finished bolt. I used some different tools. Maybe you can give a better breakdown how it's done. I'm not very good on exclamation.

Name:	Bolt.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	108279  

Quote Originally Posted by stygg2003 View Post
    I'm certainly interested Paul, thanks for the file, plenty of files such as yours and Gary's gives me plenty to try and improve my use of Xara. On a more "hope you don't mind" grovel I wanted to try and re-create the light effects in your second space odyssey theme, tried to get it near as same for my own learning experience.

Stygg
    Very Cool stygg2003. I do the same thing as you. I like all the tutorials and filesharing here on TG. I have learned a lot participating on this forum.

Hi Paul, I had a go at filling your vase shape, not great but I tried to make the vases reflection in the base with out cloning and dragging down, I made a conical fill with one cloned shape and another cloned shape with just a linear trans. Hopefully you can see what I was trying to do in the image

Stygg

Name:	Vase.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	108285  

Paul & Stygg those are really great designs in Xara, congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Here's what you do: you take most of these shapes...some were intended as extrudes...flip a copy and butt he edges together, Boolean Add them together, and then try to add some slightly downward perspective on them.
    Gare when opened your .xar file realized that those shapes are fonts.. What a big thanks would like to say for that!

Of course took the chess one first and started to play, my experience is that better to not 'Spin' a Xara .svg curve in Blender, simplier to 'Lathe' with below steps:
    1) Take one shape from Gare's file and Export from Xara as .svg file
    2) Import that to Blender through menu File/Import/Scalable Vector Graphics
    3) The imported shape will be very small, so focusing down to see, right click to select and press S and 20 to resize
    4) Add a Circle with pressing Shift + A and selecting Curve/Circle, then in the right menus click on Data tab and in the Bevel Object menu select the Curve (that is the Xara .svg shape)
    5) The got shape depends on the size of the circle, so in the top right corner click on BezierCircle (there where are the objects and it looks like Xara's Page and Layer Gallery), press S to resize it, in this case making it smaller to get the lathed shape

Name:	HowToLatheXaraShapeInBlender.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	108291

Gare I tried to stay with your style to describe the steps, so in this thread not only the Cinema 4D but also the Blender steps could be found approximately with the same way
    Last edited by csehz; 20 June 2015 at 06:37 PM.