Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara 2D drawings to 3D modeling program

Richard, as with most pieces of art, all you have to do is have a concept in your head, and then an eye for composition.

I sliced up the X and then with all the pieces selected, I extruded them (all at once). This gave me a lot of wonderfully weird poses for the pieces, but didn't care for the overall effect. After all, "push button art" is for mobile phones, not real computers. ;)

So I moved, pushed, and rotated pieces, put some to back and kept in mind where a hypothetical ground plane would be as well as the height of a hypothetical camera, until the composition looked good. Then the floor shadow was used, and tweaked a little. If it couldn't get the shadow spot-on, I'd have used the Pen tool to create a shadow and then feather it a little.

My Best,

Gary

This thread is still exciting Interesting examples and inspiring ways

Just joining to Rik's approach, not the same but enjoyed it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara3D.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	103738

Tried with moulding the text to simulate a bit the collapse, that was substracted by the blend of lines with different width

Just a short recipe how to create a broken vase in Blender

Take a shape from Xara and export as .svg

Name:	VaseFromXara.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	103955
    VaseFromXara.xar

Spin in Blender and be enough big amateur in the program like me, and see

Name:	Vase5_0921.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	103954

However maybe that is not broken just some black line, or who knows, but definitely needs investigation yet how to create a non-broken vase

I was looking at the jpg picture and was wandering where the vase was as my eyes saw only a profile of a human head. (In Hitchcock side profile style.)

Needed second look to see the profile of a vase in there and it clearly shows people only see what they want to see.

I really like what you did cshez. To me it looks old and cracked but you did a fine job.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by theinonen View Post
    I was looking at the jpg picture and was wandering where the vase was as my eyes saw only a profile of a human head.
    Theinonen thanks for perceiving that, it was intended to play with the face/vase line, even the breaking line was set finally like that.

But that breaking line was not intended at all, I need to learn more in Blender to understand why stayed. Finally from Xara a shape was exported and not a line, eventually that makes the difference somewhere in Blender

It should not make any difference when lathing a profile whether it is an open or closed path, csehz (and everyone else who likes to get into 3D) to perform at lathe or any other operation on the imported Illustrator file exported from Xara.

What I think was the criminal was a "node at extreme"; the very top of your vase profile has an extremely sharp cusp node. When you need to change path direction that dramatically, add a node at extremely high magnification so no one sees it as a butt-cap segment but instead the sharp point you're "faking" here.

Name:	nodes-at-extremes.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	103965

Name:	vases.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	103966

I've attached the Xara file for you, csehz. There might be another problem, perhaps one that occurs in Blender when a profile is rotated not exactly 360 degrees or the x axis of the profile is a fraction of a degree off the norm of zero, but as you can see, with that little extra node, I m ight be cracked, but the vases aren't .

-g
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    perhaps one that occurs in Blender when a profile is rotated not exactly 360 degrees or the x axis of the profile is a fraction of a degree off the norm of zero,
    Gare thanks the advices, still finding it really inspiring topic to make beautiful shapes in Xara and extrude in Blender.

Just there is one problem, still cracking all of the vases....

Name:	crackedvases.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	104012

What you mentioned the 360 degrees that really found in Blender guide as:

"Remove Doubles from the W-key Specials pop-up menu. Remove Doubles merges any vertices that are in the same location. If you don’t do this step, your vase will have a nasty seam running down one side."

Super, that nasty seam so having Removing the double it really makes it less visible, but it is still there. At least at shapes which are imported from Xara.

Let me ask a short question, in Cinema 4D after importing the Xara .svg, do you have to convert the shape to mesh? Because in Blender I have to or rather forced to as without that not having the Spin option. And so doing that convertion the edges are going quite dense, maybe that causes and that right side one would need some cleaning?

Name:	a1.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	104011

Post screenshot of the mesh of your finished object.

But basically you have your curve and after rotating it around the axis you get the mesh. Converting the curve to mesh before that sounds wrong but I have no experience with Blender so might be wrong.

Name:	rotate.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	104041
    looks like this in Realsoft 3D

Name:	ScaleCurve.png 
Views:	194 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	104042
    It is also possible to use 3rd curve to modify the shape.